Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

June 26, 2011

Twisted?

Ever since I started writing about Woody Allen's movie Deconstructing Harry as a response to this post at Synchrosecrets,
Midnight in Paris
on his new movie Midnight in Paris the synchros surrounding this movie and my present life experiences just won't stop coming.
When I was re-watching it the other day, I kept thinking, what an annoying beginning with Judy Davis getting out of the cab over and over and over again to the song Twisted, sung by Annie Ross.
I wondered why Woody would open the movie with this sequence and this annoying song that I had never heard of before.
I didn't give it much more thought until I started playing my new CD 
Theme Time Radio Hour Season 3, with your host Bob Dylan
(See all my Dylan syncs in my previous posts.).
I had disc one playing in the background while I was working on the computer and I heard the song from the opening credits of  Deconstructing Harry
A song I didn't know the name of at the time ... or who sang it.
So, I looked up track 15 on the CD cover and found out the song was called Twisted sung by Annie Ross.
Twisted

My analyst told me that I was right out of my head
The way he described it he said I'd be better dead than live
I didn't listen to his jive
I knew all along that he was all wrong
And I knew that he thought I was crazy
But I'm not, oh no

My analyst told me that I was right out of my head
He said I need treatment but I'm not that easily led
He said I was the type that was most inclined
When out of his sight to be out of my mind
And he thought I was nuts
No more ifs or ands or buts

They say as I child I appeared a little bit wild
With all my crazy ideas, but I knew what was happening
I knew I was a genius 
What's so strange
When you know that you're a wizard at three
I knew that this was meant to be

Now I heard little children were supposed to sleep tight
That's why I got into the vodka one night
My parents got frantic didn't know what to do
But I saw some crazy scenes before I came to
Now do you think I was crazy
I may have been only three, but I was swinging

They all laughed at A. Graham Bell, they all laughed at Edison
And also at Einstein, so why should I feel sorry
If they just couldn't understand the idiomatic logic
That went on in my head, I had a brain, it was insane
Oh they used to laugh at me when I'd refuse to ride
On all those double-decker buses
All because there was no driver on the top What, no driver on the top?
Man the chick is twisted, crazy, moogie-shoogie, idiot flip city!

My analyst told me that I was right out of my head
But I said dear doctor I think that it's you instead
Because I've got a thing that's unique and new
To prove that I'll have the last laugh on you
'Cause instead of one head I've got two
And you know two heads are better than one
According to Wikipedia,"Ross is one of the early practitioners of a singing style known as vocalese, which involves the setting of original lyrics to an instrumental jazz solo. 
Her 1952 treatment of saxophonist Wardell Gray's Twisted is a classic example of vocalese. 
Twisted has been recorded by Joni Mitchell, Bette Midler,  
Maria Friedman, and many others."
Then I came upon the excellent YouTube with the crayon figure animation, when I was looking for a clip of it, which lead me to the YouTube of her singing I Love Paris, which brings me right back to Woody's new movie Midnight in Paris.
How twisted can you get?!

No comments:

Post a Comment