Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 30, 2013

Barfly Goes To Hollywood

The movie,
and the
book about making the movie,
by
Charles Bukowski.
I've read Charles Bukowski's books on poetry before, but I have never read one of his novels before, until recently that is.
I chose Hollywood, as it was about his experience of writing the semi-autobiographical screenplay to the film Barfly, starring Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway.

Hollywood 

(Bukowski novel)

They make a great pair, the movie and the book.
They give you an insight into writing for a living, the politics of getting a film made, alcoholism, winning and losing, friendships and relationships, both good and bad, and the politics of life in general. 
I drink, but I'm not anywhere in the league of Bukowski and never want to be.
I love being a fly on the wall in Bukowski's world but would never want to be a barfly on the wall of Bukowski's world.
Just like reading Stephen King's material, I'm fascinated by the world he paints, but never want to find myself living in it.
Well, maybe the racetrack wouldn't be so bad;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment