Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

September 13, 2015

"Pretty Girls Are People, Too"?!

Pretty Girls Are People, Too Nicole Arbour
WARNING:
THESE YOU TUBES IN THIS POST USE FOUL LANGUAGE AND DISCUSS ADULT THEMES.
I had never heard of Nicole Arbour until yesterday when I read about all the drama over her You Tube about Fat People.
 Dear Fat People’ comedian loses job over ‘fat phobic’ video
"Canadian comedian/actress Nicole Arbour is having a very interesting week. 
First, she posted the now-infamous YouTube video “Dear Fat People,” in which she attempted to use humor to convince fat people that they should lose weight — fellow vlogger Meghan Tonjes dubbed it  “Fat Shaming.” 
A few days later, “Fat People” was taken down and Arbour claimed “censorship.”
Now, as “Fat People” crosses the vaunted 3 million views threshold, Arbour is being fired from a movie job because her director is outraged over the video he calls “cruel and lame.”

UPDATE: 
In response to this report, both Nicole Arbour and 
Pat Mills spoke with TIME. 
“We never officially fired her because we never hired her because she never signed the contract,” Mills says of a debate that now seems to hinge on the meaning of the words “fired” vs. “not hired.” 
On an indie film that isn’t yet in production, such phrases are especially slippery.
“I have never been formally attached to this project,” Arbour says. 
“We had spoken of it, and last I heard the team was doing a re-write. 
Pat Mills is using my YouTube story as a reason to get a low budget film that has not yet even started production press.”
Regardless of the gray area between those two statements, the fact seems to be that if Arbour had never made “Dear Fat People,” Mills would have continued forward with his plans for them to collaborate. 
The comedian, for her part, continues to refuse making any apologies for the video.
" As it turns out, Arbour’s video runs contrary to many of the things Mills hopes to achieve with “Don’t Talk to Irene,” the film she was slated to work on when it begins filming next month.
“It’s a body-positive teen dance movie set in a retirement ho
me,” Mills says of the plot. 

“It’s about a 16-year-old girl who dreams of being a cheerleader, but she is constantly bullied for being fat. 
She learns that she doesn’t have to change anything about herself to be awesome because she already is.”
According to the filmmaker, Arbour’s video really hit home. 

“I’m gay. I was bullied a lot as a kid,” he reasons. 
“I am no stranger to ridicule and loneliness.”
“[‘Dear Fat People’] is an unfunny and cruel fat-shaming video that guises itself about being about ‘health’,” Mills says of the clip. 

“It’s fat phobic and awful. 
It went on for over for six minutes. 
I felt like I had been punched in the gut. 
I was so upset I was shaking like Shelley DuVall 
in the ‘The Shining’.” 
"I was so upset I was shaking like
Shelley DuVall in the The Shining?!
I wasn't even going to do a post about Nicole, because to tell the truth I'm in two minds as to whether her clip is offensive, or not, so I'm not out to shame her, it's just the more I read about this story the synchyer it got for me.
For instance, the comment about the director of the film Nicole was "fired" from used the expression,
"I was so upset I was shaking like Shelley DuVall 
in the ‘The Shining’” and I had just written a post discussing the movie The Shining and the band Imagine Dragons, who sing a song about never changing who I am and not giving a f#ck.
I often sing along to that song, not because I'm fat 
(not that the song is about being fat, either)
(I've never had a weight problem ... touch wood), but because I'm not changing who I am if people don't like what I like about me, that's their problem as far as I'm concerned.
Who'd Have Imagined Dragons Being on Top of the World Down-under?-)
Room 237 in the movie The Shining is a room where Jack finds a beautiful naked lady in a bathtub who gets out of the tub and embraces Jack in an intimate fashion, only to turn into an ugly old rotting corpse in front of him in the mirror.
I think this is a really relevant image when it comes to a topic like body image, because the same soul "trapped" in the beautiful/ugly body is seen to evolve over a lifetime in one instant going from a person of desire to one of repulsion in the same scene, but the soul (consciousness) of that woman remains the same. 
In all fairness Nicole is a professional comedian and while many a true word is said in jest, a lot of times comedians are just holding a mirror up to our world, and sometimes they go too far ... and that can hurt deeply when it strikes on a personal note.
I couldn't help thinking of the two characters from the movie  
Inside Out when I saw Nicole's (Disgust) clip on fat people 
and the response clip from Meghan (Sadness).
Notice how Nicole looks like she has
pink 
and green hair
(Disgust's colours?)
Sometimes comedians do overstep the mark ... and that mark can be a fine line indeed.
The thing is we all have a different idea where that line is.
The trouble with being a professional comedian is you have to come up with material, which is somehow relevant, funny and usually shocking as well, so you leave yourself pretty much naked on the stage as a performer commenting on a world in which you have to also live in.
It's a line I wouldn't want to walk.
The Titanic sank in the in the
early morning of
15 April 1912
I found this bra video of Nicole's fascinating on so many levels.
I had to watch it a few times as I kept getting distracted for some reason;-)
I like how she mentions that "Islamic people have Mecain the opening few seconds, bearing in mind the crane falling on the Grand Mosque on 9/11 and kind of synching to Jake's video,  
ARMED With a DREAM - Peace of Me
which was about April 15th.
This clip of Nicole's was uploaded on April 14th, by the way.

"ARMED With a DREAM "/

42 Sync

I previously wrote about falling crane synchs with Jake in 2012 in this old post of mine - 

Crane Sync with Jake Kotze?
The crane crashed into
Mecca's Grand Mosqu
e
Mecca crane crash: Storm responsible for accident that killed at least 107 people, officials say
Oddly enough, just after watching the bra video I was wondering who Michael Phelps was when Nicole mentioned his name and the next page in the book that I'm currently reading mentioned him.
And a few pages before that Blake was writing about Yo-yo diets and the weight loss industry.
Maybe Nicole was a bit off the mark with her "Fat People" video, but I still like most of her work.
There is a Barbie movie on the drawing board, and I was going to write that Nicole could star as Barbie, but ironically compared to BarbieNicole is too fat ... as are the majority of healthy people on this planet.
Barbie is for suckers anyway,
  
in my opinion
Nicole is laughing all the way to the bank on all of the publicity her You Tube has received. 4,343,531 hits, so far. 
A scene from the movie
The Big Lebowski
That's one fat bank cheque;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment