Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 17, 2016

Rosie's Chicken Soup for the Soul

I have just finished reading Rosie Waterland's book 'The Anti-Cool Girl' and have to say that it was probably the darkly funniest book I have read for a while.
And I'm not just saying that because Rosie drew a vagina in my book (she draws them in all the books she signs apparently).
The last book I read (it was an audio book, so technically it was read to me) with such worldly-wise humour was also a book based around a girl named Rosie, coincidentally enough -
Rose, Rosie and The Rosie Effect/Project
Rosie Waterland is behind the speaker
 in this picture unfortunately
I only bought Rosie's book after hearing her talk on the panel of the 'Growing Up' discussion at the Byron Bay Writers Festival alongside Magda Szubanski, Mandy Nolan and David Burton (whose book I'm yet to read).

I didn't even know who Rosie Waterland was until I attended this talk.
Waterland warning at the
Byron Bay Writers Festival?-)
Rosanna the duck? See further
down in this post to get this one
Artworks at the 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival
I went along to hear Magda, because I had already bought Magda's book at the bookshop tent before the talk and was going to get Magda to sign it after the talk, but I ended up buying David and Rosie's book, as well, and had them signed afterwards at the signing tent when I got Magda to sign hers for me.
Magda Szubanski, Rainbows, The 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival, Jung and Synchronicity
I also caught Rosie talk on Sunday at the 'Getting Your Life Right' discussion (pictured above), along with Magda SzubanskiMandy Nolan and Richard Glover.
Interestingly with the duck connections I point out in this post Michael Leunig was on this stage above just before Rosie and the gang took to it, and he was in a conversation about how the duck came about in his cartoons.
Michael Leunig at the 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival
While Rosie's book was something I would never have recommended to my mother to read, I found it harder to put down while reading it than I did Magda's book, not taking anything away from 'Reckoning', because it is as good as all the awards it has received suggest, but Rosie's humourous, while honest style made me want to read on till it was finished in the least possible time.
I even tried 'Rosie's Chicken Soup'(patented, so hands off) recipe and it wasn't bad for a snack, but I wouldn't be too keen on it as a main meal though.
Magda Szubanski serving Rosanna the duck
for
Christmas dinner in 'Babe'
I thought it was rather ironic that Rosie's full name is Rosanna and when I was watching Magda Szubanski's starring role in the film 'Babe' I saw the duck served up and mistaken as a chicken for Christmas dinner was named Rosanna
Which reminded me of my recent duck encounters in Tasmania, which I wrote about in this post - 
Revolver
I think Rosie's book is a great read on the lessons of self-acceptance and the importance of doing what YOU want to do, and not what others want you to do.
Blanket fort in 'The Conjuring 2'
But Rosie if you find safety in your blanket fort, whatever you do don't watch 'The Conjuring 2'.

And with your dad passing away in that chair you write about in your book Rosie, 'The Conjuring 2' might be a bit too close to home for you to watch.
Plus, there is an Elvis song in this movie, so this movie would really seem like the producer's mined your childhood to write the script for this movie.
'The Anti-Cool Girl' is a great read, and I highly recommend it but be warned, it can be a little too honest in the "too much information" stakes. 
This book would make for a great Anti-Bridget Jones type movie I think, so keep that Oscar speech handy Rosie, as you never know;-)
I also liked how you started the first magazine article you had published on page 237 of your book Rosie, a rather Shining example of your writing talent, no doubt, but much better than Jack's;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment