Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

September 16, 2012

Images Of London/One of Us/Thou Shalt Not Steal?

Images of London
Images of Brisbane
Images of Brisbane - Indooroopilly Bridge
I was reading Synchronicity by Dr.Kirby Surprise this morning and came across this section -
"One of the most powerful of all human motivations seems to be the search for spiritual connection.
For most religions this manifests as a need to feel close to a personalized parent-god figure."
He then goes on to relate what he is saying about the connection to God by telling the reader about a song that randomly comes on over the radio as he is looking to illustrate his point. 
The song is What If God Was One of Us? by Joan Osbourne.
Images of London
Images of Brisbane
"One of Us" is a song written by Eric Bazilian (of The Hooters) and originally released by Joan Osborne
Released in March 1995 on the album Relish and produced by Rick Chertoff, it became a top 40 hit in November of that year. 
The song is the theme song for the American television series Joan of Arcadia.
One of Us
If God had a name, what would it be
And would you call it to His face
If you were faced with Him in all His glory
What would you ask if you had just one question

Yeah, yeah, God is great
Yeah, yeah, God is good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make His way home

If God had a face, what would it look like
And would you want to see
If seeing meant that you would have to believe
In things like Heaven and in Jesus and the Saints
And all the Prophets and...

Yeah, yeah, God is great
Yeah, yeah, God is good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make His way home

Tryin' to make His way home
Back up to Heaven all alone
Nobody callin' on the phone
'Cept for the Pope maybe in Rome

Yeah, yeah, God is great
Yeah, yeah, God is good
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

What if God was one of us
Just a slob like one of us
Just a stranger on the bus
Trying to make His way home

Just tryin' to make his way home
Like a holy rolling stone
Back up to Heaven all alone
Just tryin' to make his way home
Nobody callin' on the phone
'Cept for the Pope maybe in Rome

 I thought to myself, yeah,I remember that song, but as I was trying to remember that song, fragments of another song began playing in my head.
A Kev Carmody song called Images of London co-produced by  
Steve Kilbey of The Church.
 "The Church" on Christmas Eve...The Band That Is
Kev Carmody









 Images of London
 Snap back Jack, attack ‘tack Jack
Snap back Jack, attack these images of London
These illusions, images of London

In Montague St. Bloomsbury’s parked a white Rolls Royce
Those that own it, are inside, choosin’ a choice
Which portion of our cake they wish to partake
What our money’s worth on their exchange rate
What home we own, when we have to vacate
They dictate where we relocate 

 CHORUS
Drivin’ up the Thames through the deserted docks
The boarded up doors with chains are padlocked
Homeless on the streets live in a cardboard box
Fifty ‘P’s” your fee, your destiny, you’re free to live
In poverty in a democracy, under a monarchy

Black stretched limo chauffeured by a man in a cap
Drivin’ through the beggars with a pack of rats in the back
Nursin’ corgi’s that keep crappin’ in ya lap

CHORUS
Cuttin’ lose from this unreal fiction
Headin’ for the reality on the streets of Brixton
Away from that parliamentary power ‘neath that Big Ben clock
See it from cardboard city, if you own a cardboard box

Questions of proprietary, questions of blame
Guilt and shame’s, the same, preached in Jesus’ name
No one should be made to feel they’re born to lose
Our detonator’s primed we just light the fuse……

Now as much as I love Kev Carmody and Steve Kilbey, I couldn't help thinking how much of this song Images of London consciously, or unconsciously was influenced by One of Us?
Both songs came out months apart in the same year, so is it just a coincidence?
Kev's 2003 album Mirrors has a song called Are You Connected? and a song called Milky Way.
 The Church's biggest hit was a song called Under the Milky Way.
Which is one of my all time favourite songs.
Maybe it is just my imagination that convinces me Images of London and One of Us sound so similar to one another? 
You be the judge for yourself.
Either way, it does illustrate to me how everything seems to be connected...and maybe by no less that 6 degrees? 
Six Degrees of Separation?  
I guess most songs have bits stolen, or borrowed from songs and tunes that have been played before, whether consciously, or unconsciously by songwriters.
It's the price we pay in a connected world.

 
Men At Work denied appeal over ruling Down Under flute rift copied Kookaburra song
Australian rock band Men at Work have lost their final court bid to prove they did not steal the distinctive flute riff of their 1980s hit Down Under from a children's song.
The High Court denied the band's bid to appeal a federal court judge's earlier ruling that the group had copied the signature flute melody of Down Under from the children's classic Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree.

10 comments:

Mike Perry said...

"The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun."

Ecclesiastes 1:9 - Sometimes the Bible gets things right :)

King Uke said...

Seeing your pictures of Indooroopilly Bridge I couldn't help but be reminded of my stopover in Bristol last month where I visited the Clifton Suspension Bridge. It looks like both bridges are very similar designs. This is the picture I posted: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G573YfErjtA/UDAFh6J8GWI/AAAAAAAAMH4/rf5Q-jCV53s/s1600/bridge.jpg and here is the official bridge site: http://www.cliftonbridge.org.uk/.
Isambard Kingdom Brunel designed the one in Clifton and it was opened in 1864. The Brisbane one was designed by Walter Taylor and opened in 1936.

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

The Clifton Suspension Bridge certainly looks much more spectacular than the Indooroopilly Bridge.
But it is meant to be the longest single span bridge in Australia.
You might like to watch this film where a film crew goes inside the bridge to take a look at the living quarters -

http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2011/12/13/3390164.htm

I only included the photos of the bridge in this post because Kev sings about it in the You Tube above titled "Thou Shall Not Steal".

Which reminds me oddly enough that I took these photos on the way to see a movie at the Graceville cinema the other side of that bridge in an earlier post -

http://brizdazz.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/how-it-feels-synchronistic-thats-how.html

And what should pull up outside the cinema that day,but two London cabs on the way to a wedding,just after me saying the week before that I would never see a London cab in real life,because I can't ever see me going to London in this life time,the way things are going.

So,I guess it is relevant to this post as well,considering the Taxis are more "Images of London" on the other side of the bridge that Kev is singing about in the song
"Thou Shall Not Steal". How weird is this sh...stuff.-)


King Uke said...

That's an odd video - sound and photos. I think I want to be an urban explorer! What a cool place. Did you watch it to the point where the graffiti/art starts? Cool stuff. I recognise one of the pictures - it's a copy of some album art. I'll try and dig out the name...

King Uke said...

The 'band' is Unkle and the artist is http://blog.mrmule.com/2004/08/

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

Yeah,I've watched it through twice,because every-time I've crossed that bridge I've wondered what it looked like inside.
Now I know:-)

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

There is some cool art on the link.

Did you see the London Taxis I took a photo of on the other side of that bridge the day I took those photos? -

http://brizdazz.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/how-it-feels-synchronistic-thats-how.html

Talk about "Images of London"!?!

King Uke said...

This is getting freakier by the moment. Just before I took a look at the taxis, I accepted a friend request on Google+ from someone in Germany called Paul Pott. Check out his profile picture https://plus.google.com/104031160330457434245/posts?hl=en and then tell me that we don't have a sync going on here with the Brendan Cowell book cover you posted on the taxi post!!! I need to go lie down.... and that's because I've hurt my bloody back!

Brizdaz (Darren) said...

That's pretty strange...and it would be stranger still if Paul Pott was Cambodian .-)
Get it Paul Pott/Pol Pot??? Never mind.

You think things are freaky here wait till you see what I got in the mail yesterday.
I think that the trickster is having a laugh at my expense with the contents of this envelope.
If nothing else it makes the wheels worth watching in this weird amusement park called life.

Stay tuned I hope to have it on the blog later today.

King Uke said...

I thought it was this guy at first http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Potts. I'm off to bed... will catch this sync in the morning...