Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 31, 2015

A Walk Through the Bindis

A red bindi in the centre of the eyebrows.
I was reading Jono Lineen's fascinating book, Into the Heart of the Himalayas, which I bought from the Byron Bay Writers Festival in 2014 (another post will be coming about this book, soon)
UPDATE: This is that post -
Walk On!
and read this passage about bindis -
"The Ganga-Mai temple is simply designed, a pale stone square with four corner turrets and a central tower. 
It fits unassumingly into its surroundings....
 When I was there the lack of people and the white noise rush of the Bhagriath River emphasized its tranquility.
The temple was locked (it is closed for the season on the Indian holiday of Diwali each year and reopened in May), but I could see the white-washed walls of the inner shrine were covered with thousands of red dots, women's bindis, or forehead markings.
Bindis mark the area between the eyebrows that is said to be the sixth chakra, or energy centre.
In a way, each of these scores of women had placed a piece of their being in the guardianship of the goddess.
The pattern created by the red marks was endless, like the Australian aboriginal dot painting exposing a community's relationship with gods and landscape."
 I love how Jono compared the bindis on the wall to an aboriginal dot painting.
I never knew what those red dots were called before reading Jono's book, and when I saw the word "bindi" printed in the book I immediately thought, so that's why Steve and Terry Irwin named their daughter Bindi.
To me a bindi is what a lot of Australians call a prickle that gets stuck in your foot when you are not wearing shoes while walking through a patch of them. 

Bindi Irwin

But no, it turns out that her first name comes from the name of her father's favourite female crocodile at the Australia Zoo and according to her father, Bindi is an Australian Aboriginal word that means "young girl".
I must admit to being a little disappointed to learn Bindi wasn't given her name as a reference to the little spiritual points of consciousness seen painted on Hindu's foreheads.
I wrote an old post once referencing the little red dots used in the Hindu religion, but I had no idea that they were called a bindi when I wrote it -
Steering Synchronicity by Surprise
Is this guy trying to place a
Bindi on his forehead?-)
I've learned something today from reading Jono Lineen's book on his truly fascinating spiritual trek across the Himalayas, and like I said, there is a post to follow soon about the personal synchronicities I had while reading his book.
So, stay tuned. 

UPDATE: 1st Nov, 2015
I was just listening to a new podcast which I'm writing a post about at present, and at the 1:05 hour mark Forrest says something like, I was working in a clothing store five, or six years ago and this man wearing a turban and a bindi says I'm on this pilgrimage to give people information and he says,"you're alone, you are always going to be alone, but God is with you and he is all you have".
The Liminalist # 38: Diving into the Nightmare (with Forrest Borie)
Funny thing was that I hired the Robert Zemeckis directed movie What Lies Beneath out and watched it on Halloween, because after being involved with the BTTF/911 video that went viral on BTTF Day, I thought maybe I should watch all of Bob's movies and being Halloween (unofficially in Australia).
I thought what better choice than to watch the only horror movie that Robert Zemeckis has directed?
The sync here is that I found Jasun's podcast through a link titled What Lies Beyond.
The boat out of What Lies Beneath is
 from
Waterbury, Vermont.
The weird synch connection here is that if you listen to the podcast, you will hear that Forrest says that he was always terrified at his mother's home in Vermont.
What Lies Beneath takes place in Vermont, also.
 
"The wife of a university research scientist believes that her lakeside Vermont home is haunted by a ghost - or that she is losing her mind."
Let's not forget that Jasun is interviewing a guy named Forrest and Zemeckis directed the movie Forrest Gump:-)
Forrest's story is told in the movie The Nightmare.
His story is about the Ticklers who come and tickle him in the crib.
Rodney Ascher who made The Nightmare also made the movie Room 237, which is exploration of various interpretations of Stanley Kubrick's horror film, The Shining (1980).
A Shining moment in What Lies Beneath?
And there are some very Shining moments in Zemeckis's What Lies Beneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment