Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 19, 2014

Giving the Middle Finger to the Fool's Ring

I wrote a post a while back about throwing my wedding ring into the ocean at Byron Bay -
Love on the Rocks ... A Fool's Journey?
and replacing it with a "Prosperity Ringthat I got from Israel over the internet and placing it on my middle left-hand finger.
At the time I was reading a book about rings that I had bought a few years back, second hand from Amazon, but had never gotten around to reading until my ring toss and started pondering the significance of rings.
The book is called,
Rings for the Finger
and was written by George Frederick Kunz
(Kunz ... sounds very close to the name I sometimes mutter under my breath to myself whenever the thought of my soon to be ex enters my mind;-)
 It is an old book, but quite interesting with its information on ring wearing customs.
But I was surprised that the middle finger of the left hand was considered to be, "the finger for fools"!?
I thought this was quite funny, since I was thinking what a fool I was for wearing a wedding ring on the traditional finger for wedding rings all these years.
But at the same time, I thought it was neat that my "Prosperity Ring" was now on the Fool's finger.
Ring Symbolism
Middle: The identity finger
The Saturn finger is associated with wisdom and dealing with responsibility and our role in life.  
(Saturn was the father of Jupiter.) 
This is the finger with the most strength and balance. 
Wearing a ring on this finger announces, "I am" and governs the way we see ourselves, our potentials, and our limitations. 
It is an effort to enhance willpower with the support of total ego.

Saturn

(The Middle Finger)

The Balance Wheel, sense of right and wrong, the law, search for truth, propriety, self-analysis, secretiveness.
 Saturn has been called “the balance wheel” of the hand or the personality. 
It is here that we find the qualities relating to universal and human law and justice and our relationship to them. 
To emphasize the role of Saturn is to emphasize the sense of what is right and wrong, what is proper in any given situation. 
Other qualities related to Saturn are a certain tendency toward introspection. 
Saturn in its extreme can develop into a tendency to secretiveness. 
Saturn carried too far tends to be weighty, heavy and sad. 
My own palmistry teacher used to say that “everybody has more than enough of the qualities of Saturn.”  
It would be rare that a person would want to bring greater emphasis to this particular aspect.
Symbolism, Significance and Meaning of Rings on the Five Fingers
 
Apart from the obvious hand gesture, the middle finger is your largest, boldest finger.
Rings worn on the middle finger are surprisingly uncommon — 
in part, that’s because it’s adjacent to the index finger, and anything bulky can be quite a hindrance to fine manual tasks. 
It’s best to keep things small and simple if you’re wearing them on your middle finger.
That said, a lot of first-time ring-wearers might feel more comfortable with the middle finger, purely because if feels so central, sturdy, and frankly, “manly.” 
If the idea of a pinky ring weirds you out, and you don’t want any confusion with wedding/engagement symbolism, the middle finger’s a safe default.
Because of its central location, the middle finger is held to symbolize balance and responsibility and is associated with Saturn. 
Since Saturn’s metal is lead, simple gray metals like steel are common middle finger choices.
Rings & Finger Symbolism | Which Finger Should You Wear a Ring On | Rings & Meanings
 I like the idea of being on "The Fool's Journey" of the Tarotso I'm pleased to give the middle finger to the Fool's ring.
Makes it all the more symbolic to me, since the biggest fools in life are the ones who think they are not fools.
"The Ring is a traditional symbol of infinity or eternity, the transposition of the magickal circle into the real world of tangible, functional objects.
In a magical sense, wearing a ring binds you with power, with energy
."

Ring Symbolism
 

9 comments:

  1. I wear a ring on each hand and never take them off. Even when I had surgery I refused to do so - they had to tape them over.

    Looking back, to before I wore these two rings, I used to wear one - just on my middle finger!

    Never thought about the associations with various fingers for rings - interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wear my "prosperity ring" on the right-hand middle finger for a few years,because I mis-calculated the ring size of the finger I was going to wear it on and it would only fit the middle finger of that right hand,until I got sick of wearing that ring and a wedding ring at the same time (too many rings for my liking to be wearing at one time).
    So I put the "prosperity ring" in a drawer,until I threw my wedding ring that I had been wearing for 24 years,almost non-stop,into the ocean.
    The trouble was I felt naked not wearing a ring on that hand,so I pulled the "prosperity ring" out of the drawer and found that it was an even better fit on my left hand middle finger than the right.
    It was only after that I started wearing it and I read the ring book and found out it was the Fool's finger,which suits me fine as I had just started studying the Tarot card symbolism at that time,which made the discovery of the Fool's finger even more relevant...and humorious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also funny to me that I threw the 'Real" Fool's ring off a cliff...the same cliff we visited the day after we were married
    (the start of our honeymoon)
    and the Fool on the Tarot card is about to step off a cliff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, is the prosperity ring working?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems to be Mike.
    Not that I'm rich,but I'm not poor either and lately small windfalls seem to come out of the blue to be able to keep my head above financial waters and to for-fill my heart's desires like buying a book I feel compelled to read,a movie I feel I should see,or a band or actor I want to purchase a ticket to to see and hear.
    For instance Shirley MacLean is coming to Brisbane in December,and while I don't agree with everything she says,I admire her "I don't give a f#@k" attitude she has for telling it like she sees it.
    I didn't think I would be able to get a ticket and I didn't want to lose $100 of my hard earned to see her,but I won $100 and booked a ticket,so it didn't feel like I was losing anything to go see her,so it's like I'm being guided to read certain books,see certain movies and attend different events.
    So whether it's a placebo effect,or some part of my subconscious,or an "angel" guiding me,things just seem to come along at the right time lately,even though on the marriage front things are cold and looking ominous in financial terms.
    Having said that,every so called "psychic" I ever visited in my younger years (about 4) told me that in my later years (over 50)that I would be rich when a windfall of money would come my way from my own efforts,either through writing or a creative venture,or win.In other words some event I produce for myself through my own efforts.
    Normally I would laugh that kind of thing off (everyone wants to hear that from a "psychic"),but in my heart it seems right to me,and that was about 30 years ago and two of the people I saw were very accurate with other things that came to pass,so who knows ?
    Prosperity is a state of mind anyway,and being grateful for the goods things in your life over the bad things in your life will always make you feel prosperous to some greater or lesser degree.
    Everyday is a journey and the secret is to see,or at least try to see what lay before you as you pass on through.
    To prosper is to journey successfully through the dark paths that lay before you in life and as long as you can feel the peace in your heart that comes from doing what you feel is right at the time I would say that is prosperity enough.
    No drug in the world can give you the feeling and contentment of a heart following it's rightful path through life.
    Prosperity is a peaceful heart,when you can center yourself there (follow your heart to it's peace)things seem to fall into place somehow.
    No money in the world can buy that for you.
    That to me is prosperity,peace of heart.
    Once you lose the peace in your heart then you know that you are heading off track.
    When people talk about "following your heart" to me this is what they are talking about.
    The greatest reward in life is a peaceful heart and doing your best to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info on the rings, very interesting.

    Marie
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome Marie.
    Although it may just be foolish advice ?-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Fool is one of the best cards in the tarot...archetypal in the sense that you are on a new path, a new journey, and embrace it with all the exuberance of a kid. The Magician is also archetypal - it's alchemy. Based on just these 2 cards, Daz, I'd say you are en route to your true path.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for that Darren, interesting.
    As you say 'prosperity is a state of mind'. What's prosperity to you or I may be completely different to someone else. That's another example of there being no reality.

    Good luck, anyway.

    ReplyDelete