Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

November 22, 2012

Time Drifts Away ... While We Are Busy Making Other Plans

Drift restaurant drifting off down the Brisbane River
I was de-cluttering my room yesterday and came across an old menu I had torn out from the Brisbane Entertainment Book I owned a few years back.
I love these books, because it encourages me to get out of my old eating ruts and try someplace new, that I normally wouldn't go to if it was left up to me. 
I've discovered lots of interesting places to eat around Brisbane from thumbing through this book, like in this post here -
Flow Like Poe? 
But unfortunately I never got to eat at Drift even though I had a good window of opportunity before this restaurant got destroyed by the Brisbane Floods of 11 January, 2011.
2010–11 Queensland floods
A woman trapped on the roof of her car
awaits rescue during the
Toowoomba flash flood
Wheel of Brisbane during the floods
Like everything in our lives, we assume that the things that are here today will still be there tomorrow, but time waits for no person.

Iconic Brisbane restaurant sinks beneath river
Ironically this restaurant used to be called Oxley's on the River, or something like that before the name was changed to Drift.
Reminds me of the lyrics in the Alan Parsons Project song Time (above) and how time is like a river flowing to the sea.
The album the song Time came off.
It's certainly a lesson to me that if you want to do something in life, don't wait too long or the opportunity might just drift on by you until it is out of reach.
Being in-between jobs and reevaluating my life has made me realize just how important my time is and just how quickly it's floating by.
This book I'm reading at the moment, Your Money Or Your Life is spelling it out to me in no uncertain terms.
Whilst it can be very hard emotional reading (I wouldn't recommend reading this book if you were contemplating suicide), I think it is necessary reading for someone like me who feels like they have just woken up to their financial/working life.      
 Time to get off the Not-So-Merry-Go-Round and create a new road map for my life.
Kookaburra Queen paddle steamer,
on the
Brisbane River, wheel goin' round
Watching the wheels go round can teach you a thing or two about life, if you pay attention;-)
O, and it didn't escape my notice that flooding began to affect low-lying areas of Brisbane on the morning of 11 January 2011. (11/1/11).

Update: 22/11/12
Doing some more de-cluttering in my room, I came across an old "House and Garden" magazine from 2009 that I haven't even opened yet.
Flicking through it though I came across an add for a New Zealand wine called Drift.  
I have never heard of the brand before today.
I wonder if there is a message in there for me?
Best concert I've ever attended in my life.
Ah, the old
glory days;-)

2 comments:

  1. It's very easy to drift through life. I'm conscious of how fast the years are ticking by and I haven't done so many of the things I had hoped to do.

    I used to publish a penfriend magazine called 'Drifter' back in the late 90s - I wanted it to drift all over the world and it pretty much did. One year I had mail from over 120 different countries.

    I would think you are at an exciting time in your life - creating a brand new road map. Not everyone gets this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you're still young enough to create that new road map, Daz. The de-cluttering you're doing is great feng shui. I got inspired yesterday from just thinking about the declutter book - and went thru my closet and got rid of clothes I haven't worn forever. To the thrift shop they go.

    ReplyDelete