Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 10, 2016

"The Earth is Flat, and It's Round, and It's Toroidal"?!

I went to the Somara conference last Sunday and Dan Schreiber started the first talk off by addressing the "Flat Earth" theory that is doing the rounds on the internet at the moment, much to my annoyance with me having both feet firmly planted in the "Round Earth" camp.
For a minute I thought Dan was going to say that he was a "Flat Earther", but to my relief he ended up saying that he thought the earth, "is flat, and it's round, and it's toroidal".
Which was his way of saying let's not fight over something so dumb and see it as all those possibilities in one flowing illusion.
Unfortunately, I can't see a flat earth before me no matter how hard I try, even with the aid of this Earth Stress Ball I bought on Friday from the nut farm.
But I have to say that once Dan got past his united earth theory, his talk about bacteria & the collective microbiome was pretty darn interesting.
Even while watching this interesting video from Halfasheep that was posted recently, I had to reach for my stress ball when the "Flat Earth" theory was mentioned near the end.
I just can't buy or stand listening to "Flat Earthers", no matter how much spin is put on it:-)
If people want to talk metaphorically about a flat earth, I'm OK with that, but when people want to try and tell me that the earth is really flat, they have lost me right away.

3 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. It's a distraction sucking up a person's time and energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've hit the nail right on the head there for me OF.
    It's one of the most useless time consuming theories doing the rounds and even if these guys turned out to be right about it (not a snowball's chance in hell in my book) why would authorities try and convince everyone the earth was round instead of flat anyway?
    I can understand them covering up say a faked Apollo series of missions to the moon during the Cold War because they didn't, and probably still don't have the technology to send a man through the deadly Van Allen radiation belts to the moon without getting them fried, so they faked it at the time trying to convince the Russians that they somehow made it through.
    I can even see the theory of 9/11 being an inside job to start a war over oil and other resources being quite believable...even spot on the money and worth looking into, but a "FLAT" earth?
    F#ck off and stop wasting everybody's time and energy with such s#it I say.
    It's like this crap was being thrown in the mix to paint anyone looking at worth while conspiracy theories as lunatics by associating these "Flat Earthers" with legitimate, or at least worthwhile theories to explore.
    This is what makes me so angry when I see these "Flat Earthers" keep bringing up this dribble up in forums and Facebook groups that have nothing to do with "Flat Earth" theories.
    I have to wounder if these guys aren't just flat out nut-jobs believing this stuff, or working as shills to discredit people looking at worthwhile conspiracy theories?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The importance of cosmology is real, but it is lost on people.

    To see how cosmology affects one personally, consider Edwin Burtt and Alfred Whitehead's statements.

    "It is the ultimate picture which an age forms of the nature of its world that is its most fundamental possession. It is the final controlling factor in all thinking whatever.
    Edwin Burtt, 1924

    This study has been guided by the conviction that the mentality of an epoch springs from the view of the world...
    Alfred Whitehead, 1925

    ReplyDelete