Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

March 22, 2016

Talking 'The Super Natural' with Dr Jeffrey Kripal

I've just finished reading Jeff Kripal's fantastic book, 'Mutants and Mystics' and apart from Jeff letting me know in that book that my favourite childhood superhero, Spiderman is really just a big wanker, I still found the book a great read, not that I agree with everything written in the book (especially about Spiderman being a big tosser;-), but it is worth reading for sure.
I recently bought, but haven't read yet Jeff's co-written book with Whitley Strieber titled, 'The Super Natural', which Gordon White at Rune Soup interviewed Jeff about in the podcast linked below by clicking on the link below -
Rune Soup Episode 15 - Talking The Super Natural with Dr Jeffrey Kripal
I also want to read Jeff's book, 'Authors of the Impossible' ASAP, as well.
Jeff Kripal is an author whose work I think deserves a bigger audience and who I'm sure will get one in the near future. 
As far as Jeff Kripal's Freudian revelation about Spiderman being a really just a big wanker (although not in those words), I hired out the Toby Maguire Spiderman trilogy and watched them with new eyes, although I had never watched 2 and 3 before, as I was never a big fan of Toby being cast as Peter Parker, so couldn't be bothered watching 2 and 3 when they came out.
Telling shot from Spider-man 3?-)
I have to admit that the whole subtext of the trilogy seems to support Jeff's theory pretty solidly I'm sorry to say.
Peter wakes up in the middle of the night realizing that some has changed in him.
Sticky fingers the next morning?
And while playing with his fork?-)
Not to mention the old hair growing on the palms gag.
The infamous wet t-shirt/kiss scene from Spider-man 1.
There's Freudian sexual references everywhere in these movies when you keep an eye out for them, even suggestions of prison sex and castration in the cage wrestling scenes.
Bone saw?! That's gotta hurt.
Moondance
After watching the above scenes it's not too hard to guess where the inspiration for Lars von Trier's casting of Kirsten Dunst in Melancholia came from, especially after seeing the runaway bride scene of MJ in Spider-man 2.
Anyway, I'm kind of depressed finding out my childhood hero is nothing but a big tosser in Freudian terms, so it's time to dig out my copy of Melancholia and cheer myself up;-)
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?-)

1 comment:

  1. Lordee, lordee, I finished Mutant and Mystics around 12pm today. I think the narrow print style was bugging my eyes. It is that or my cat. Lot's to digest, and so much to understand in Mystics. Sure like his Gnostic delivery! Shine forth brave souls. Respectfully, Dennis.

    ReplyDelete