Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 15, 2012

A Nightmare Before Christmas/Steppin' Off The Edge?

Snow in Australia, October 12th, 2012!?!
Ending of Nightmare Before Christmas
"What's up Skip?"
I watched Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas on Friday
12th October 2012, for the first time in my life, and oddly enough it snowed in October in Oz.
Not in my part of Oz, but it did snow in enough places that it doesn't usually snow in Australia at this time of the year to warrant media attention (see the above photos from that day).
I thought it was odd because in the movie it snows in
Halloween-land for the first time, which would obviously be in October, too.
The thing that was immediately obvious to me after watching this movie was it just about follows the fool's journey in the tarot.

Major Arcana

Watch the film with the major arcana cards and see if you can't  spot most of the themes in the major cards of the deck.
After the opening song and dance routine J(oker)ack starts his journey when the cliff edge that he is standing on, with his dog (named zero), unfurls down to the ground for him.  
Sorry about the reflection of
my living room
in the shot
His fall off the cliff really
starts here in this shot
The Hanged man?
The fool on the hill starts his journey
in
Christmas land from here
Jack starting off with ZERO, his dog
The ZERO card
The Lovers?
The Chariot?
The Magician?
 
The Magician?
Wheel of Fortune?
Wheel of Fortune (X) is the tenth trump
or 
Major Arcana card in most Tarot decks
Temperance?
The Hermit?
The Tower?
The two towers: Jack lives
in one and so does Sally
Sally jumping from her tower
The Hanged Man ... again?
Death?
The Emperor?
Judgement? "Jack BLOWN to bits"
announced through trumpet
The Devil?
They're all there in one form or another.
Rent it out and take a look for yourself.
Another thing that struck me while watching this movie was wouldn't a Nightmare Before Christmas party be good to hold on December 20th this year???
Since the world might end before Dec 25 this year, so maybe we should throw one last party just in case?-)
Not that I believe it will be the end of the world ... but why waste an excuse to party?

Update: 25th Oct, 2012. 
I saw a post at The Orange Orb blog-site about a deck of Halloween Tarot cards that you can buy.

Halloween Tarot

7 comments:

  1. Any time is a good time for a knees-up. The world won't end for a long while yet so let's all party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I haven't seen the film, but I'm pretty certain that I wouldn't have picked up on the tarot steal...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great find!! Very well done!

    However, I can't say I'm surprised. I've talked about how Burton used the Tarot as a framework for "Pee Wee's Big Adventure" too. Now I wonder if he's done it in more movies than these two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should probably watch it yourself as there is way more symbolism in there.
    I've just glossed over most of it.
    I quite liked it as a movie,to tell the truth.
    "Magical Mystery Tour" is also a journey through the Tarot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey darren, happy new year mate. i hope you and your loved ones were able to enjoy the solstice season holidays. as you can see, i am somewhat behind on my blog reading. your disciplined and prolific approach to your writing are paying dividends. this was a great post. very observant of you. i have also borrowed some of the excellent tarot images you found. keep up the good work. i always get a little vicarious thrill when i see references and links to your blog at various and diverse sites.
    which is a more and more frequent occurence, particularly in facebook land.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year to you too dboy.
    Feel free to use whatever images you want off the blog.
    I don't use Facebook,so I don't see the references to my site,although I do notice a bit of traffic coming from Facebook.
    Maybe one day I'll cave into Facebook,but no today.-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last sentence should read not today,instead of no today.

    I'm tee-ed off about that last mistake.-)

    ReplyDelete