Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

March 9, 2017

The F#ck!ng Road Within

I was in my local video store last Thursday to hire a DVD of 'Up', because of a story I read in the local news that compared a house at West End to the house in that movie -
What's Up at #42?
and on Thursdays at this video store there is a 5 for $5 movie offer on DVDs on the weekly shelves, so I had a look around and stumbled across a movie I had never heard of before, which is usually not a good sign right there, but I saw that it was a movie about a road-trip starring Dev Patel from the movie 'Lion' and Lenny Kravitz's little girl, Zoe.
'The Road Within' is a movie about a young man with Tourette's Syndrome who embarks on a road trip with his recently-deceased mother's ashes.
Tourette's Syndrome is something that intrigues me, because while I don't have it, when I get extremely angry and start swearing, I'll just throw out the most stupid offensive combinations of swear words that really don't make any sense at all, much like the example above from the movie.
I couldn't imagine living in a world where I couldn't censor my thoughts and just blurted out offensive thoughts and words to others.
Much like I do when watching football:-) 
Zoe Kravitz plays a young woman with an eating disorder and is probably the more convincing of the three main actors in this movie.
Dev Patel plays a guy with OCD and it's mainly because of seeing Dev on the cover of this DVD and remembering him on top of Mt. Wellington in Hobart, Tasmania in the movie 'Lion' (which is where I saw snow last year for the first time in my life, while on a road-trip to Tasmania) that persuaded me to hire the DVD -
Revolver
And I'm a bit of a Lenny Kravitz fan, having seen him play a few years back at Brisbane's Riverstage -
Lenny Kravitz and the Year of the Dragon
So, with Zoe being in the movie that was one more reason to watch the movie for me.
And the funny thing was that after paying for my movies and hopping back into my car at 3:15 pm Thursday, I had the local MMM radio station tuned on my car radio and Lenny's song, 
'Are You Gonna Go My Way' was playing:-)
Hmm ... weird.
I thought Robert Sheehan's performance with Tourette's Syndrome was a bit over the top, but apparently not, as at the movie's IMDB page it is written that, "Robert Sheehan had the help of Jackson Kramer, the spokesperson for the Tourettes Society of America, preparing for the role."
I've got say that it's not the best movie that I've ever seen, but it does make you think about life a little more, I swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment