Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 14, 2016

Art, Birds and Synchronicity Are My Therapies

While I was on my road-trip down the east coast of Australia and back, a little bird that I had never seen the likes of in my life popped up on a fence post in Tasmania when I had pulled off the road to eat my crayfish roll at a rest-stop just before Port Arthur
Loterรญa/Life is a game of chance?
The bird I saw in Tasmania at the roadside rest stop
Rest-stop in Tasmania, the fencepost was just to the right
I didn't really think much more about this red-breasted bird until I stopped at the Bega Cheese factory to buy a cheese platter for lunch on my way to Woolongong
Weird Woolongong Skies
My lunch in Bega

Bega Cheese Heritage Centre

While I was at the Bega Heritage Centre I popped into the tourist shop and saw the magnet pictured right at the top of this post with the words "Art is My Therapy" printed on it. 
I thought to myself that art and birdwatching were my therapy and how weird that the bird on that magnet looked like the bird I saw in Tasmania days ago, so I purchased the magnet, as well as another 3-D cow magnet and a cheese knife.
My 3-D Bega cow magnet (looks way better in real life)
My Bega cheese knife
Both magnets were put on my fridge when I got home from my road-trip, and I hadn't thought much more about them until today after watching the movie 'Babe' on DVD and then going to the fridge for a snack and seeing the magnets.

I had been watching 'Babe' because I had just finished reading Magda Suzbanski's autobiography after buying it and her signing it last week for me.
Magda is one of the stars in the movie 'Babe', which was why I was watching it again, as I hadn't watched it in years, and wanted to see if there was anything synchromystical about the movie ... and was there ever?
But that might have to wait for another post.
Scenes from the movie 'Babe'
I thought I would try and find out who the artist was who had painted the red-chested bird on my fridge magnet by doing a Google search, but all I had to go by was the initials KU and the words Scratchy Bird Designs.
I ended up finding a great little blog by a lady by the name of Kate Unsworth and when I scrolled down the blog I came to a post titled, 'Now is the Hour' with a picture of a cow that Kate was painting, and a quote by Deepak ChopraThe best use of imagination is creativity the worst use of imagination is fear.
A scene from the movie 'Babe'
A scene from the movie 'Babe'
The theme of this year's Dark Mofo event in Tasmania
Seems to be a few universal and synchromystical themes flying around here, I reckon.
The studio that made the movie 'Babe':-)
Magda Szubanski, Rainbows, The 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival, Jung and Synchronicity
A scene from the movie 'Babe'
A scene from the movie 'Babe'

5 comments:

  1. That's a quotable line - art, birds, and synchronicity are my therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stumbled on your post when after you contacted me via my blog I googled scratchybirddesigns to see how easy it was to find me and my stuff was there but so was your post how cool is that. Whilst my art is a hobby at the moment. I truly do believe nature and birds are my therapy and one day hope to live the dream of having my own business. Thanks again for purchasing my magnet the stylised one is the male scarlet robin and the magnet with the nature is my therapy is the female. They visit me every winter and I adore them. Kath

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow your he(art) Kath, because you seem to be right on track at the moment and those crows you paint are great.
    I wrote s post called 'Is 2017 Gonna be a Year for the Birds?' about a 2017 Australian bird calendar I bought at my local post office, which features a lot of bird species I have had special encounters with and while I didn't write about it in that post, I just noticed that the bird for December 2017 is a Red-capped Robin.
    I was wondering why artists don't take a bit of poetic licence with the robins and give them heart shaped chest marks.
    I Googled around in Google images and couldn't find any artists painting heart shaped red marks on the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a red capped robin, would be awesome. I only draw/paint what I get photos of other wise I have to ask permission from photographer. There may be some stylised versions of the red cap out there. If I see one I will let you know. I shared this post to my FB page hope you don't mind. If you prefer I didn't I can take it down. cheers Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never noticed any in my life (and I've only seen that Robin in Tasmania, so far), but I just looked them up on Wikipedia and found out Red-capped Robins are native to Australia and their habitat range cover most, except the tropical top end of Australia, so I'll have to keep my eyes open and my camera ready in case one does fly into my life.
    And feel free to share on FB.
    Mine's a public blog, so I can't really stop anyone from sharing stuff that I write onto Facebook.

    ReplyDelete