Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 15, 2016

Artworks at the 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival

I look forward every year to the festival to see what new artworks are scattered around the festival site and this year there were some great pieces to gaze at.
Pictured in this post are some of my favourites ... enjoy.
I loved all of the Alberto stick figures and have already written a post featuring most of these clever sculptures, so click on the link below to see them if you haven't already -
The Sum is All About the Hole Alberto
I've also written a post about this artwork above and the little real life butcher bird that was hanging around this piece in the red link below -
Another Orb at the Byron Bay Writers Festival?
One thing about all the rain over that weekend at the festival was the puddles that formed on the ground which made the fish look like they were flying over a stream.
Even though it did rain a fair bit on the weekend, it was bearable weather;-)
And the pig loved the muddy conditions, but seemed too stoned to take flight over the rainbow -
 Is 2016 the Year of the Pig in Byron Bay ... or For Just Getting Stoned?-)
But it really was weather for ducks, and these ducks reminded me of the ones Michael Leunig draws in his works of art.
I added this book to my collection of
Leunig toons over the weekend
Michael Leunig at the 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival
And Michael Leunig sure knows how to draw a crowd, too, being the artist that he is.
Even the food was a work of art at the BBWF. 
Works of art that you could eat
and admire at the same time
Even works of art that you
could drink
and admire
Even nature itself was a work of art at the festival I thought. 
Nature's artwork over the 'Yellow Brick Road Pavilion'
of all places:-)
Just Watching the Wheels Go Round?-)
When I saw the above artwork, it reminded me of something I'd expect to see at MONA in Tasmania and then I read the sign and saw that the artist was named David Walsh
MONA: Sex X and Death +
I thought surely not the David Walsh owner of MONA, but when I asked around it was a local artist with the same name.
The white heron, or whatever bird it was reminded
 me of
Michael Leunig's cartoon duck
All I have to do is frame and sign this picture now;-)
I even got to make a bit of my own art on Sunday when I snapped the white heron through the plastic sheeting of the tent that I was listening to a talk about literary thrillers in.
Victor del Arbol, Louise Doughty, Emily Maguire
 and Luke Stegemann
Even the lady in front of me at this talk had humming birds on her clothes ... prints, not real ones that is.
And Kate Forsyth even displayed her artwork for me at the book signing tent when she was signing her book for me and having a chat.
When Kate told me about the cat's eye shell with the spiral pattern on it, I couldn't help but tell her my theory of the spiral on the drink canister in the movie 'The Revenant' -
The Secret of 'The Revenant'
It certainly was a wet weekend that the festival fell on this year, and I wondered why, but then it all made sense when I read this passage on page 275 in Magda's book about the scapegoating being gay used to get you, "We were blamed for the transience of our relationships, the illness we contracted, for pestilence, misfortune and bad weather".... especially those rainbows on Friday;-)
Magda Szubanski, Rainbows, The 2016 Byron Bay Writers Festival, Jung and Synchronicity
"La...La...La"
Although, just like in the movie 'Babe' the sun did shine in the end.

1 comment: