Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

March 16, 2011

A Deck Full of Jokers???

500 Things You Have to Do Once in a Lifetime?
I placed an order at a gift shop for a set of cards called, 
500 Things You Have to Do Once in a Lifetime.
The sub-title read Reinvent Your Life.” 
I thought, Why not? 
Maybe the cards would give me some goals to set for myself outside of my monotonous job. 
When the deck arrived, I found fifty double-sided cards with five suggestions on each side. 
The middle suggestion on each side appeared in bold-face type, so you naturally focused on that suggestion when you looked at a card. 
I shuffled the deck and flipped over a card and the first thing my eye saw was the bold-faced words:  
DRIVE A FORKLIFT TRUCK
Ironically, that's what I do in my job for a large furniture chain. 
I’d been driving forklift trucks for 23 years.
I thought,Yeah, I might try that one tomorrow;-)
What are the odds, that I would select that choice on my first try? (100-1, actually)
I thought,"Oh, well, I'll try drawing another one, so at least I can try some really new experience the cards suggest."
The next line I saw was  
Buy a Lottery Ticket,
which made me laugh also, because I've been doing that about twice a week for the last 23 years also, so I could give up a monotonous job like driving forklifts.
The first two cards that I picked!?!
P.S. 
I've just drawn another card after writing up this post, and considering that it's St.Patrick's Day here tomorrow, it sounds like a challenge I have to have a go at 
Down a Pint of Guinness in One;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment