Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 23, 2012

The Grey/The Grays and the Triad

When I first received a free pass to the Liam Neeson movie The Grey I wondered if it was anything to do with aliens, along the lines of Strieber's book The Grays.
Well, I was re-reading Strieber's book Communion at the time. 
The Grey turned out nothing like one of Strieber's books ... or did it?
As I said in this previous post I wrote about going to see this movie -
My Syncs with Other Bloggers  
The only reason I could be bothered going was to get the picture of the blue neon cross on top of the church while it was glowing at night, so I could show Mike Perry what it looked like.
Oddly enough, there was a cross very similar to this in the actual movie, which made me think there was a message here for me in this sync ... but what was it?
At first viewing the movie seems to have very little meaning other than wolves stalking plane crash survivors in the Alaskan wilderness and picking them off one by one.
And without me reading Strieber's book Communion and the blue cross syncro, I wouldn't have given it another thought.
The wolves in the movie seemed supernatural, or otherworldly to me for some reason, much like Strieber's gray aliens. 
Which made me think of Wolfen and Strieber's fascination with wolves and vampires.
Then it dawned on me ... they are otherworldly creatures,but for this to work in the movie The Grey these guys being stalked would have to be dead already.
So when the plane crashes there are no survivors in the real world.
The guys who "survived" are already dead.
They just don't know it yet.
They have to confront their inner demons and fears in order to be assimilated into the afterlife properly.
Which is why most of them see "memories" of dead relatives before the wolves "kill" them.
I was reading the chapter in The Holographic Universe called  
Dreams and the Holographic Universe where Talbot mentions a painting by Rufino Tamayo titled Animals.
Rufino Tamayo's Animals
"Painted on the eve of America's entry into World War II, while Tamayo was living in New York, this pair of snarling dogs captures, in the words of fellow Mexican painter Juan Soriano, "that horror before a world that was turning to stone before our eyes." 
Set against an eerily vacant yellow backdrop bathed in a red glow, the dogs, with their fangs bared, strike an anxious note, while the pale-blue bones near their paws suggest death or carnage. 
The subject matter was likely inspired not only by contemporary events but by pre-Columbian terracotta burial sculptures. 
In Aztec and Maya mythology, dogs were considered guides to the underworld, and statues of them were often buried with members of the ruling class."
It says in the above passage about the painting that 
"the pale-blue bones near their paws suggest death or carnage".
Maybe, but when I Googled this painting I couldn't help thinking about the pale blue neon cross that I went to photograph and the blue neon cross that just happened to also pop up in The Grey.
It also reminded me of the cover of Rob MacGregor's book  
Double Heart with the two red wolves and the blue katchina face. 
Which reminded me of W.P Kinsella's (author of Shoeless Joe, the book Field of Dreams came from) book Red Wolf, Red Wolf.
Strieber, author of Wolfen, Communion and The Grays wrote about the triad in the last pages of Communion.
To quote Strieber's words, "I began to think of triangles, of triads, of the struggle I have had to find a finer balance within myself.
There are many ancient traditions that view man as being with three parts: body, mind, and heart ... The fundamental idea of the triad as a creative energy is that two opposite forces coming into balance create a third force."
"The idea of the triad is not static.
It is an expression of a series of emanations."
"The idea of the triad is not static.
It is an expression of a series of emanations.
The third force emerges when the first and second forces come into balance, and when all three are in harmony they become a forth thing, an indivisible whole...
We could be part of a triad that includes the visitors.
They might be the aggressive force, entering us, enforcing our passivity, seeking to draw from the relationship some new creation.
But the triad can never come into harmony until there is a firm ground of understanding.
We need not be blindly welcoming.
What is required is objectivity.
We must have a care, for if they are real it can be persuasively argued that they are aggressive as it can be that they are benevolent...
It is, however, too easy to call them evil, just as it is too easy to say that they are saints, kindly guides from the beyond.
They are a very real and immensely complex force, the provocative nature of which demands neither hate nor love, but rather respect in a context of intellectual objectivity and emotional strength....
This was also thought by the Aztec and many other cultures to be fundamental to everything.
And duality, when it was in harmony, formed the triad.
When the internal triad of mind, body, and heart becomes fixed in a state of permanent harmony, it is because the seeker has finally died to himself and all the allures of life.
Out of this death the forth state emerges.
This is the ecstatic objectivity that the Western seeker cherishes, the nirvana of the Hindu, the blooming lotus of Zen."
Interestingly the cross folded in equal squares at ninety degree angles becomes a cube, which could easily represent the forth state of emergence, could it not
Or maybe that should be the other way round? 
And since the movie The Grey is based on the short story
 Ghost Walker by Ian MacKenzie Jeffers who also co-wrote the movie. 
And a Ghostwalker (also referred to as Deathwalker) assists souls that have died and been stuck on the earth plane to transition to the next realm.
I would say that I'm on the right track with this interpretation.
On my next viewing of The Grey I'll be taking all the above into consideration while I'm watching the movie. 
The Grey (film) 
Thanks to Rob and Trish MacGregor for pointing out this clip which is mainly about the novel Shoeless Joe.
Shoeless Joe (novel) 
by W. P. Kinsella and the movie Field of Dreams.
Synchronicity on film
Which reminds me of another film about another dead guy named John;
Red Dog and the Sacred Kingfisher/Tree/Owl Synchronicity
 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Now I'm going to see the Grey with all this stuff front and center in my head. I think you've drawn some remarkable correlations here, Daz. I lo9ve the wolves on the cover of Rob's book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work; reminds me of the קליפות ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qliphoth,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that on the right of the page near my book cover with the wolves and the kachina, you have a kachina mask that is almost identical to the one on the cover. The sun kachina. Interesting post. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been there for ages,way before your book came out.
    I did a post somewhere near the beginning of my blog using the image,stating how I thought the two hemispheres of the brain on the Kachina where like a Yin/Yang symbol showing that you needed to blend both hemisphere's equally to become whole spiritually.
    Whether or not that is true I liked the image and stuck it up on the sidebar.There are also two at the very bottom of this blog,near the page-view counter.

    ReplyDelete