Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 6, 2012

How Do Songs Like This One Get Played As Instore Musak Selections???

.
I work for a major worldwide retailer and our in-store music is done by some major Musak company, and this last weekend the song Pumped Up Kicks by a band called Foster The People came over the PA to a store full of hundreds of customers and staff.
Now, I'm no prude when it comes to music and I must admit this is a nice boppy tune to dance to ... but listen to what the lyrics are saying and and tell me honestly, is this an appropriate song for a major retailer to be playing over an in-store PA system???
This is where I start losing my faith in humanity, when crap like this gets written and listened to on such a large scale and big companies let bands like this spew their irresponsible lyrics through the speakers.
I'm not for censorship, just a bit of responsibility.
This clip alone has 63 MILLION and a half hits!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a life to a crazed gunman who was motivated in part, by a dark song like this.
I couldn't sleep soundly at night if I had written lyrics to a song like this ... no matter how much money it put into my bank account.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I wasn't meant to listen to the video - couldn't get any sound!! How odd. I've always said that I don't believe in censorship but I now think that first we have to know what it is that we are going to watch or hear. I wouldn't agree with that Musak you mention for instance. Gradually though, 'we' are becoming less sensitive to such stuff - there is a definite dumbing down going on with education, television and so on. For a reason perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,Just type in "Pumped Up Kicks" into the search bar of You Tube.There are plenty of other clips for it.One should work for you.You may even recognize the tune.It gets lots of air play.These kids are talented,but they are using their talents in a very negative way.
    The tune in great,but the lyrics are trash.

    ReplyDelete