Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

June 1, 2012

The First Death Café in the USA?

A blogging buddy of mine, Lizzy Miles, has come up with this great idea of starting a Death Cafe in Columbus, Ohio, USA.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lizzymiles/the-first-death-cafe-in-the-usa?ref=live
"The objective of a Death Café is to create a safe place where people get together to talk about death and have tea and delicious food. 
The purpose of having this event is to raise our death awareness with the view to make the most of the finite time we have left."
 The principles of the Death Café are the following:
The event should be free to the attendees
The event should be free from ideology – It is against Death Café principals to lead participants towards any conclusions about life, death or life after death, apart from their own thoughts.
The event should be safe and nurturing, which includes offering nice refreshments.
The event should be accessible and respectful of all, regardless of gender orientation, religion/faith, ethnicity, and disability.
The event should be confidential. Attendees should feel comfortable expressing themselves.
 Click to make image bigger
"Society doesn't make it easy to talk about death. 
I have been accused of being quite a downer at happy hour. 
The thing is, it’s happening all around us, whether we want to think about it or not. 
I might suggest that thinking about death would help you create a better life. 
The key to getting over our death anxiety is to find that turning point. 
Okay, so now we’ve admitted to ourselves that we know we don’t have forever to live… what do we want to do with our lives
What do we want to accomplish MOST
What is on our Bucket List
The Death Café allows people to talk about death, but also sparks those conversations about life. 
How do we make the most of it?"
I love the "Death by Shark" design.
Being a Cronulla- Sutherland NRL supporter I don't know how many times I've joked that the sharks will be the death of me. 
I won't even have to go anywhere near the water for them to do it to me, either ... and if the last 30+ years are anything to go by, it will be a painfully slow death;-)
So, you can guess which design I can relate to out of those four above.

I'd like to see Lizzy launch the first Death Café in the USA, so I'm going to donate ... and remember it won't kill you to throw a little something Lizzy's way, either*-)

Probably the two worst deaths I can think of at the moment are the ones above and below.
This one I can really relate to - being lost in IKEA, and wondering if I'll ever make it out again;-)

2 comments:

  1. I like Lizzy's idea, as there is a need for something along these lines everywhere. Death is something I think most of us fear, whether we admit this or not.

    ReplyDelete