Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 18, 2024

What Maisie Knew ... The Movie?πŸ‘ΌπŸ¦‰πŸ‰

I wrote a recent post about reading/listening to Henry James novel 'What Maisie Knew', but not being able to find the 2012 movie on a streaming network that I currently subscribe to -
The co-directors discuss their new family drama,
child actors and Julianne Moore's singing voice
Well, as luck would have it, I changed one of my streaming services yesterday from BINGE to STAN, mainly so I could watch the Underbelly: Razor TV series starring Anna McGahan, whose book I recently read and wrote a post about -
And discovered that STAN had the 2012 moive of the book that I was after:-) 
So, I watched it yesterday and one theme in the movie I would have missed if I had have watched it when I was looking for it on streaming services a few weeks back was the theme of baby girls in China, not being wanted, or given up for adoption to rich Americans/Westerners.
It was only because I had read
Adeline Yen Mah's book 'Watching the Tree' and watching some You Tubes about her life growing up in China that I picked up those themes in the movie version of 'What Maisie Knew' -
Watching the Tree to Catch ... A Butterfly?πŸŒ²πŸ¦‹πŸ‘€
In the 2012 movie a young Asian girl spends the night at Maisie's mother's apartment as a sleepover.
The girl is dropped at the apartment by her white American mother and then picked up by her white American father, so I gather the implication is that the Asian girl has been adopted from China by the white couple, who look a bit old to be parents anyway.
The movie also mainly takes place around New York's Chinatown, where Maisie's stepfather works as a bartender at nights.
Maisie is also fascinated by turtles in this movie and of couse, turtles are associated with the I Ching, as I've written about before on this blog -
Precursor to the I Ching: Cracks in a Turtle Shell?
An August 2013 Front Row Podcast 
In another weird sync I found a BBC podcast through Apple Podcasts on my iPad about the movie and featuring Vince Gilligan of 'The X-Files' fame and I'm watching 'The Man in the High Castle' right now, which was created by his fellow 'The X-Files' member Frank Spotnitz from the PKD novel, and in the series and the novel a Japanese man uses the I Ching to figure out his future path.
Which is weird, since the I Ching is a Chinese oracle.
What’s The Meaning of Seeing an Owl in Daylight?πŸ¦‰πŸŒž
Front Row podcast: Archive 2013
Ironically, on my iPad the podcast says it was uploaded to Apple Podcasts on August 22nd, the "Owl Guy's" birthday -
August 22 - Southern Hemisphere [W]Hoodie-[W]Hoo Day?-)
The owl is also used a lot in this film with Maisie having an owl on her school bag for a lot of this film, as she is exchanged from one parent/stepparent to another after and before school.
What Does It Mean When You See An OWL? πŸ¦‰πŸ‘€
Who needs the 
I Ching when you have a "book/video angel" doing the work for you, I say;-)
Oh, and I noticed that the movie was released in 2012, which was the Year of the Dragon and that Anna McGahan was born in 1988, the Year of the Dragon (the year I was married) and I am a Dragon -

No comments:

Post a Comment