Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

April 20, 2024

The Man in The High Castle ... and Was Jung Antisemitic?πŸŽ₯πŸ―πŸ“•πŸ°πŸ“½ 🎬

I've been watching the
Amazon series 'The Man in the High Castle' based on Philip K. Dick's book of the same name, and in Season 3 the wife of a high-ranking Nazi visits a Jungian shrink to process the loss of her son.
Like PKD, I'm a fan of Jung's work, but unlike PKD, I'm Jewish enough through family history to be placed in a Nazi death camp.
Even though the majority of my genes are Scandinavian from my mother's side of the family.
But unlike Dick, I have a horse in the race, so to speak.
Alexa Davalos
As I have written before on this blog, I'm not really a fan of shrinks, whether that be Jungian shrinks, or not -
Freud's Last Session?πŸ‘»
Philip K. Dick: Adrift in the Multiverse
Weirdly enough, I listened to this 'Weird Studies' podcast episode yesterday about PKD and realized that it hit the net exactly 6 years ago from the day I listened to it.
I've been listening to podcasts about PKD, because I'm up to VALIS, since starting to PKD novels/stories in chronological order, before I read Dick's Exegesis ... God help me:-( 
Great Lives Podcast (Philip K. Dick)
I've got to say that I'm not of the opinion that Dick was the genius that a lot of sync heads make him out to be and am only interested in his work on a pop cultural level.
VALIS was the first ever PKD book I read years ago, and this time round is a re-read, having forgotten a lot of what I read back then.
Ironically, today is Hitler's birthday (April 20th) and I'm on target to finish watching 'The Man in the High Castle' tonight ... not that I planned it that way.
The Man in the High Castle Had to Have Been Written by Dick Using the I Ching? πŸ€‘
Personally, I find Dick's parallel universes, as in 'The Man in the High Castle' unbelievable when it comes the way the universe works, and only entertaining as a mind game ... up to a point, that is.
A PKD library book I ordered a week or two ago came in on Friday, so now I have the last two books to read after I have finished VALIS, and then I can look forward to reading my copy of 
Dick's Exegesis:-(
And personally, I don't think Jung was Antisemitic.

2 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Your question at the beginning - was Jung antisemetic? Never occurred to me in all that I've read of his books or books about him. Philip K. Dick was a visionary, just like Jung, but their visions took them into different aspects of the same reality, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was just a paraphrase of the title of the 'This Jungian Life' podcast episode I listened to Trish, and not really my question.
    And I agree with you about Jung, I haven't seen anything in peacetime by him that I would consider Antisemitic myself.
    And like I stated above in the post, I do have a horse in that race, so to speak.
    Dick may have been a visionary, but he was a poor author IMO.
    It's been an education reading/listening to nearly all of his books, but I sick of Dick right now.

    ReplyDelete