Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 25, 2012

The Koi and the Dragon

I'm working on Part 3 of my "Year of the Synchromystic Dragon" posts and one thing that I found puzzling in the movie Dragon was where Bruce has defeated the demon, after he has the vision in the mirror maze scene and while filming Enter the Dragon, and the film cuts to a goldfish pond near the home he was living in at the time 
Dragon
Dragon
Dragon
 then pans up to the house, then to his children Shannon and Brandon playing in the "living" room of the house with their toys.
Dragon
NOW THIS IS THE SCENE THAT REALLY GETS MY ATTENTION!!!
LOOK AT THAT DOLL AND LOOK AT THE CUSHION ON THE CHAIR BEHIND BRANDON (is that a demonic looking face in that cushion or what?)
REMEMBER, this film was made BEFORE Brandon died on the set of The Crow, and way before Ledger would die while playing 
"The Joker".
Anyway, getting back to the goldfish/Dragon thing, I was talking to a guy at work about the pond shot I took at the temple, of the Dragon emerging from the water, and how I was puzzled the the Dragon's element is water ... not air or fire, like I would have imagined.
 Then he told me about the Chinese/Japanese myth of the Koi fish.
Then I did some Googling and found this great print by an artist named Nemo, where he explains the legend of the Koi/Goldfish transforming into the Dragon.
Then it all started to make some sense to me.
Koi and Dragon Commissions
Nemo says on his blog, "The story of the koi and dragon goes a little something like this: the koi has to fight his way up a waterfall and has to pass a wooden gate to turn into a dragon. 
Me being born in the year 1976, the year of the dragon, puts this piece close to my heart and I also feel like I’m fighting my way up that waterfall to become a dragon too."
And I also found this site about Koi/Dragon tattoos,
Koi Fish Tattoos Designs
"In stories passed down for generations, the Koi is said to have climbed the waterfall despite the current pushing it back. 
As a result of this it has become a symbol of bravery and the Japanese have claimed that if it is caught, it does not move an inch before getting cut open.
 While these fish are widely honored in Japan, the folklore story has come from China. 
Legends claim that any Koi which can successfully swim through the Yellow River and make it past the Dragon Gate will be magically transformed into a majestic dragon. 
From this story, the Koi tattoo design has become a symbol or progress and determination for the people."
Another little piece of the puzzle solved.

3 comments:

  1. Nice... I see the doll now, wow.

    You might find this one interesting...
    'CARL JUNG = THE FISH! (Via Synchromysticism)'
    http://mycosmicstardust.blogspot.com/2011/10/carl-jung-fish-via-synchromysticism.html?zx=eb7b02ec5d63d0e3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Chris.
    I have read that story somewhere before,but it has more relevance for me now.So thanks again for reminding me about it.

    ReplyDelete