Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 25, 2023

Why Read War and Peace in 2023 When You Can Listen to it and Watch it?💣☮🕊🐇🐰

I read 'War and Peace' when I was a teenager just so I could say that I had read it.
At the time it bored me to tears and was a slog for me to get through.
I knew nothing about Russian history back then and very little about European history, either. 
And if you had have asked me what I recall of reading the book as a teenager I would have only told you I found it boring and confusing and wouldn't bother reading it again in my lifetime.
But I did read (well listen to it being read to me) it again this year and loved it.
Funny how the book hasn't changed over the years, only my life perspective changed before I read it again.
I watched the excellent BBC TV series based on Tolstoy's book and starring 'The Fablemans' and 'The Batman' (plays The Riddler) actor Paul Dano as the main character Pierre Bezukhov, before listening to the book on audio, which gave me an idea of who was who in the story as I listened along. 
Now I'm getting ready to read 'Middlemarch' (well, listen to it being read to me), but I want to watch the 1994 BBC series first, but can't find it anywhere on streaming services or You Tube, so I have to buy the DVDs to watch it, which means I probably won't be able to start listening to the book until the middle of March:-)

UPDATE: February 25th, 2023
Love and Consequences:
George Eliot's
Middlemarch
Ironically, I recently added the IDEAS podcast to my Apple Podcast list and this week they dropped two podcast episodes about the book 'Middlemarch':-) 
I wrote about the IDEAS podcast in this recent post -
Tom Sizemore in 1999's 'Bringing Out the Dead'
I have a feeling that the book angels really want me to read this book ... like now ... or at least by mid-March at the latest:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment