Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 18, 2016

Dis(grace)d?

I saw a play called 'Disgraced' on Saturday afternoon and what a powerful play it is.
I only went to see Libby Munro play the part of the white girlfriend (Emily) of the main character of the play (Amir Kapoor), as there are certain actresses and actors who grab my attention on a synchromystic level and Libby is one of those in my book -
Libby Munro: A Grounded Actress with High Skies Ahead of Her
If you don't get the synchromystic thing then check out the videos about actors and actresses at 
Jake Kotze's Vimeo site and tell yourself it's all just one big coincidence.
Ayad Akhtar has written one cosmic play here, and it is way more than a play about Jews and Moslems in a post 9/11 world.
The statue of Shiva in the play 'Disgraced'
The play really centres on a statue of the Hindu god Shiva -
"At the highest level, Shiva is regarded as formless, limitless, transcendent and unchanging absolute Brahman, and the primal Atman (soul, self) of the universe.
Shiva has many benevolent and fearsome depictions. 
In benevolent aspects, he is depicted as an omniscient Yogi who lives an ascetic life on Mount Kailash as well as a householder with wife Parvati and his two children, Ganesha and Kartikeya
In his fierce aspects, he is often depicted slaying demons. 
Shiva is also regarded as the patron god of yoga, meditation and arts."
The final stage configuration
with the essential props on view
With Shiva being regarded as the patron god of the arts, among other things, was it a coincidence that the play ... SPOILER ALERT ... finishes on an artist portrait painted by the main character's girlfriend?
The statue of Shiva on my desktop
I have a statue of Shiva on my computer desk, and I know that there is a statue of Shiva at the Hadron Collider in Switzerland.
So, this figure in the play becomes a very symbolic representation of "worlds" on a collision course and "the destroyer" causing havoc in the modern world, not only among Jew, Muslim and Christian, but between man and wife, black and white, religious and secular, and family and tribal groups.
The weird thing is that during the play my thoughts drifted to the statue of Shiva on my desk and the statue of Shiva at CERN and it wasn't until I was walking back to the carpark after the play that I saw the poster above about the Hadron Collider.
I wrote a post the other day about living in grace, and I think it is rather apt that this play is titled 'Disgraced', because the main characters end up going in the other direction to a state of grace and end up in a state of resentment and fear -
Our Daily Bread
My view of the wheel from the Playhouse window
Libby Munro in the movie 'Eight'
I also thought it was ironic that I mentioned my actor friend  

Andras Jones and his show about the "wheel of eight" in the post about Libby 
Libby Munro: A Grounded Actress with High Skies Ahead of Her
 And when I was waiting in the foyer for the play to start, I could see a "wheel of seven" through the glass windows.
The Wheel of Seven?-)
I also saw the new Dan Brown novel-based movie (Inferno) on Sunday night which was about a virus that was invented to wipe out half the world's population and saw the poster for the movie 'The Magnificent Seven' in the cinema lobby, which made me think of the time I saw the movie in Canberra with my son - 
2017: What Comes First, the Chicken, the Egg ... or the Monkey?
The second movie in the Dan Brown series was of course, 'Angels and Demons', where the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) initiates the Large Hadron Collider and creates three vials of antimatter particles larger than any ever been produced before.
Ignore that 666 BS though
Anyway, coincidence or not, 'Disgraced' is a play to watch on many levels. 
The statue of Shiva and the Islamic
patterned painting in the play
Synchromysticism is all about seeing coincidental patterns within the bigger picture.
Maybe I just see patterns where there are none to really see?-)

No comments:

Post a Comment