Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

November 3, 2023

New Grub Street and the British Museum?📚🕮📰🗞

Having just read Gissing's novel 'New Grub Street' I was amused at the mentions of the British Museum Reading Room, especially with all the bad press that the museum is getting over stolen objects housed there.
New Grub Street and 1000 Other Books You Must Read Before You Die?📚🐰
That of the British Museum Reading-room,’ explained Jasper; ‘known to some of us as the valley of the shadow of books. People who often work there necessarily get to know each other by sight. In the same way I knew Miss Yule’s father when I happened to pass him in the road yesterday.”George Gissing, New Grub Street
RUNE SOUP REVIEW: SHAKESPEARE
STAGING
THE WORLD AT
THE
BRITISH MUSEUM
I've never been outside of Australia, apart from a 1977 trip to the north island of New Zealand, but I remember reading a lot of old 'Rune Soup' posts where Gordon White wrote fondly of spending time in the British Museum (like the 'Rune Soup' post above), which seems rather amusing to me in recent times reading anti-colonial rants by Gordo at Rune Soup.
I'd give the BM a visit if I ever make it to London in this lifetime.
All the world's a stage ... a library and a museum I guess?-)
1001 Books I Must Read Before I Die ... Including the Banned Ones?📚📖🚫
My next book to read (or listen to) in chronological order from my '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die' book is William Morris' book 'News from Nowhere'.
Sounds like another fairy story to me.
Ironically, Chapter 8 of 'News from Nowhere' mentions the British Museum:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment