Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 9, 2017

A Trip to Spain After My Trip to Byron

I picked up a 'Saturday Paper' on Sunday down at the Byron Bay Writers Festival and saw that the movie 'The Trip to Spain' was now playing in Australian cinemas.
There was even a Spanish looking scallop recipe in the paper,
 which I thought was very Camino De Santiago in spirit
Camino De Santiago pilgrim accessories
I saw 'The Trip to Spain'  last night at a Brisbane cinema with my eldest son Kevin, even though his choice for me was 'Atomic Blonde', or 'The Big Sick'.
I twisted his arm and said what about 'The Trip to Spain'?
He said he had seen the last 'The Trip to...' film and said OK to my suggestion.
I liked 'The Trip to Spain', even though I wouldn't say it was the best film of 2017, or hilarious, like the reviews quoted on the poster for the film, but it is a good chuckle movie.
I like when comedians not only take the piss out of celebrities, but their own perceived Hollywood celebrity status, as well.
That's the mark of great comedians/actors when you can laugh at and take the piss out of yourself, while laughing at the absurd public personas of others ... and part of the reason I love these films, so much, too.    
I couldn't help wondering as I sat watching this film if Steve Coogan, or the writers of this film had read my post about traveling through Tasmania last year, but then I'm probably seeing dragons where there be only windmills -
The Windmills of My Mind
I did see 'The Trip to Italy' when it came out at a cinema in Byron Bay a few years back, so it's weird that I found out about the latest 'Trip' movie when I was down in Byron Bay last weekend.
Apart from the Acid on the Road I Had a Good Trip
I'd like to see the boys make a 'The Trip to Oz' movie traveling around Australia and stopping in at Byron Bay and such Australian towns and dining on Aussie food and wine, while doing their impersonations of Aussie actors like Mel Gibson (that would go great with some alcohol), Hugh Jackman, Peter FinchPaul Hogan, Errol Flynn (who passed away on Steve's birthday October 14th), or any Aussie actors, or musicians they wish to for that matter.   
I've seen more appealing movies about Spain than 'The Trip to Spain', but the food, wine, conversations and jokes in this movie make up for it.
My favourite movie about Spain is still 'The Way' by a long way, maybe because part of me yearns to walk the Camino De Santiago while my legs and body pump tell me to be content with just reading and watching movies about it.
Maybe one day I'll find my way to Spain and chase a few windmills from my mind at the same time.
The Way to Byron Bay Via Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment