Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

April 20, 2017

Land of the Powerful Owl

On Easter Monday when I was at the Byron Bay Bluesfest I saw a t-shirt hanging up at the merchandise tent with a Powerful Owl printed on it.
It belonged to a band I hadn't heard of before named 'The Wilson Pickers' and the W was written with a spiral which reminded me of the spiral on a wall hanging that hangs on the back of my front door.
The Secret of 'The Revenant'
I also have a calendar in my kitchen that is twelve months' worth of drawings of powerful owls, which I bought last year as a homage to my unsuccessful attempt a number of times last year to find a real live one in Port Macquarie -
Are the Powerful Owls What They Seem?
I saw that 'The Wilson Pickers' were playing in the Juke Joint tent soon after I saw the t-shirt, so I ducked into the CD tent and found their CD that the t-shirt was based on called,
'Land of the Powerful Owl' and bought it hoping that I would like it.
'The Wilson Pickers' playing the
Juke Joint
tent Easter Monday, 2017

That's them in the You Tube above singing a song about a poor bloke whose wife/girlfriend walks out on him ... hmm, kind of synchy, but that's just about the theme of every Country and Western song I hear.
I liked the above song, 'Graves or Gold' better as it reminds me of the theme of one of my favourite synch songs 'Digging in the Dirt'and being Easter Monday it kind of had a resurrection theme to it as well I thought. 
'Digging in the Dirt' was a song that randomly came on the radio of my car years ago when I was digging a grave for my pet cat who was run over on the road the night before.
It was one of those WTF moments that stick with you for life ... well it has for me anyway.
The inside of the CD cover with the
SPURS numberplate (ringed in red)
Now the weird thing is that I'm a Tottenham Hotspur (Spurs) supporter and I was wearing my Tottenham t-shirt on Easter Monday at Bluesfest when I saw the band play, and when I get home and open the CD of theirs I bought that day, there was a numberplate with SPURS written on it on the inside cover of the CD.
You can go to this link and listen to all of the tracks in full that are on the CD -
Land Of The Powerful Owl
They also did a good cover of Dolly Parton's song 'Jolene' which is not on the powerful owl album, but I couldn't help chuckling, because sung from a male perspective it would have to be a Gay guy pleading with Jolene not to take his man:-)
I liked their song 'World Is Going Wrong', because even though it was recorded in 2008 it seemed appropriate for the Easter weekend of 2017, even if Trump was "fake news"ing everyone about his ships off North Korea.
USS Carl Vinson: White House denies being misleading about US carrier strike group's push toward North Korea
'Dryer Ground' was rather synchy too, as the Byron area was still recovering from the floods that hit the area a few weeks before.
I also love 'Barman Blues', I can imagine this song being played as the last song before closing time in a country pub.
All in all, I like my purchase of 'Land of the Powerful Owl', but after seeing that there are crows on the cover of 'The Wilson Pickers' new album, 'You Can't Catch Fish from a Train', maybe I made the wrong choice with my love of crows over owls.
What Do Owls Have to Crow About?-)
Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment