Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

April 22, 2017

St Paul & The Broken Bones ... and Mojo

I saw St Paul & The Broken Bones play the Mojo tent at Bluesfest on Easter Monday, after I had bought their CD, 'Sea of Noise' without even having listened to it.
I liked the cover art on the CD with the rocket-ship like gold-stained glass window with angel wings, hourglass, spaceship and other symbols drawn on it.
I thought if the music was no good, I could just display the CD on a stand on my bookshelf.
'St. Paul & the Broken Bones' playing the Mojo tent
Funny thing was the band was using the cover art as a stage backdrop at the Mojo tent.
The Byron Bay Bluesfest Easter Monday, 2017
With a name like 'St. Paul & the Broken Bones' I couldn't help thinking of ceremonial magick and the relics of the Roman Catholic saints.
Reliquary and skull of Saint Ivo of Kermartin
"In religion, a relic usually consists of the physical remains of a saint or the personal effects of the saint or venerated person preserved for purposes of veneration as a tangible memorial.
Relics are an important aspect of some forms of Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Shamanism, and many other religions.
Relic derives from the Latin reliquiae, meaning "remains", and a form of the Latin verb relinquere, to "leave behind, or abandon".
A reliquary is a shrine that houses one or more religious relics."
'St. Paul & the Broken Bones' playing the Mojo tent
I wondered if bones sometimes go into mojo bags when I left the tent and apparently, they sometimes do.
St Paul and the Broken Bones "Broken Bones and Pocket Change"
"Mojo moʊdʒoʊ/, in the African-American folk belief called hoodoo, is an amulet consisting of a flannel bag containing one or more magical items. 
It is a "prayer in a bag", or a spell that can be carried with or on the host's body.
Alternative American names for the
mojo bag include hand, mojo hand, conjure hand, lucky hand, conjure bag, trick bag, root bag, toby, jomo, and gris-gris bag.
Ingredients can include roots, herbs, animal parts, minerals, coins, crystals, good luck tokens, and carved amulets
The more personalized objects are used to add extra power because of the symbolic value."
While there were no bones put into the mojo bags in the above You Tubes there was an emphasis on personal DNA being placed in the bag, like hair, fingernail clippings and saliva.
Broken bones, mojo, DNA and UFOs?
Interesting themes all in the one tent I thought.
'St. Paul & the Broken Bones' at the
signing tent
Easter Monday

They were great musicians and put on a good show, but their music was just not my bag, baby, I'm afraid, but the artwork on the cover was cool, so I could display the CD on my bookcase at least I thought.
'St. Paul & the Broken Bones' were signing their CDs so I thought that I may as well get my CD signed by the band.
It was only after I got the CD back that I realized the artwork that I liked was ruined, so I went back to the record tent and bought their LP for the artwork. 
My vinyl version of the CD, signature free 
I met some interesting people in the signing line, too.
Steve Bisley ... not!
Steve Bisley
I thought it was Steve Bisley in disguise at first, but then realized it was just some duckhead with some Kiwi mates;-)
After standing in line for so long I had to go and rest my weary bones after all of that, as I felt like I had lost my mojo.

UPDATE: 22nd of April, 2017
My "lucky" mojo bag that was given to me a few years ago
I realized that I had a mojo bag in my drawer where I keep my lotto tickets, although I was referring to it as a charm bag.
It was given to me as an extra gift from an American store that I bought some trinkets from a few years ago ... it may have been the 'Lucky Mojo' store, I'm not really sure now who gave it to me.
I never "fed" the bag, or anything you are told to do for a mojo bag, but a while back I bought some miniature Australian currency from a miniature doll furniture shop that used to be near a local Brisbane cinema I go to.
I'd go into the shop from time to time and buy little miniatures like the sacred kingfisher above and the chocolate cake pictured below that sits in front of my chubby Buddha like a zen riddle"can you have your cake and eat it, too?";-)
I even bought a miniature dartboard from that shop ... but no darts.
The funny thing though with the miniature cash was I opened the mojo bag about a year ago and stuck the cash in it.
My belief was money feeds itself, so in a spiritual sense the bag would feed itself through interest, as every bankster knows;-)
Ever since then I have been winning constantly enough for my lotto numbers to pay for themselves, a bit like treading water, not losing, or really winning either.
Probably just a coincidence, but I'll keep the bag in the drawer.   
Then again it could be my "lucky Buddha wishing Jar" that is the reason for my good luck?-) 

1 comment: