Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

April 30, 2017

1977-2017: A 40 Year Block of Time in Turkey?

I was working on a follow up post to my 1967 themed post -
1967: The Present Can Only Be Viewed from the Past?
this morning, but this post I'm working on is about the year 1977.
Just like my previous post I'm heavily relying on Wikipedia for most of my information and links to write these posts.
As I'm going through the events of 1977 wondering which events to include in my blog post I came across a link to the Taksim Square massacre in Turkey.
I'd never heard of this event until now ... forty years later.
May 1 – The Taksim Square massacre in Istanbul results in 34 deaths, hundreds of injuries.
I wasn't even going to include that event in my post until I saw this news story this morning on a national Australian news website -
Turkey blocks access to Wikipedia 'to protect national security, public wellbeing'
"Access to Wikipedia, a free online encyclopedia, has been blocked in Turkey over content said to present the country as supporting terror.
The country's official news agency quoted the Ministry of Transport, Maritime Affairs and Communications as saying the site was blocked for "becoming an information source acting with groups conducting a smear campaign against Turkey in the international arena".
"After technical analysis and legal consideration ... an administrative measure has been taken for this website [
Wikipedia.Org]," the BTK telecommunications watchdog said in a statement on its website.
It cited a law that allows it to block access to individual web pages or entire websites for the protection of public order, national security or the wellbeing of the public.
The Anadolu news agency said officials had warned
Wikipedia to remove content likening Turkey to terror groups, but the site "persistently" did not."

Sounds more like 1984 than 2017 in Turkey at the moment to me.
I also think it is ironic that -
January 1977– The world's first all-in-one home computer (keyboard/screen/tape storage), the Commodore PET, is demonstrated at the Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago
and that -
January 3 1977 Apple Computer is incorporated.
I was a child growing up in the 70s and 1977 always sends chills down my spine when I remember that year.
To me it was "the" year in my life, if I ever had a favourite year, where so much seemed to happen on a personal and pop-cultural level.
And it wasn't because 'Star Wars' came out that year, or that 'Rocky' won the 'Best Picture' Oscar either.
We didn't get 'Network' at the cinema until 1977 in Australia, so to me it was a 1977 film.
Yes, to me 1977 was a much more interesting time than 1967.
Seems like the 40-year anniversaries this year will give the 50-year anniversaries a run for their pop-cultural money and significance.
Not that Turkey will get to hear about it though, it seems;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment