Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 10, 2022

The Millers, Ancestry and Searching for Identity?🧬

I'm reading Henry Miller's infamous book 'Tropic of Cancer' which was published in-between the World Wars and I was stunned when I read on page 3 of Miller's novel his rant about Jews, or Half-Jews pretty much.
1001 Books I Must Read Before I Die ... Including the Banned Ones?📚📖🚫
Being from a secular Jewish family background myself I can relate (pardon the pun) to D.M Miller's You Tubes above, but I don't really care whether people think I'm considered Jewish or not (as long as the Nazis don't get back into power), as I'm more not Jewish than Jewish according to my DNA results and family tree anyway (I'm around about 1/3, so I couldn't even say I was a half-Jew, like D.M Miller can).
I can remember years ago when a Jewish person I met asked me if I was Jewish and I told them I was half Jewish since I knew my grandfather's side on my father's side of the family were Jewish, and some of my mother's side also ... and they said to me sarcastically, "so which half of your body is Jewish?"
Which I knew they were trying to point out I'm either a Jew or not a Jew, and that to them there was no such thing as a half-Jew.
So, I said to them the half Hitler would have killed, and that seemed to stop their lecture I was about to receive from them about being half-Jewish.
I'm not a religious person really, so I don't care that much about whether people consider me Jewish like D.M Miller does, but reading page 3 in Henry Miller's novel kind of hit a raw nerve in me and made me recall D.M Miller's You Tubes about ancestry and her DNA results.
My father's father's family came to Australia from Germany way before the two World Wars and it looks like they had converted to Lutheranism at some point in their family history before they came out to Australia.
Not that that would have saved them from Hitler's Germany, I think.
I remember my mother's mother taking me to the cinema when I was young to see movies like 'Fiddler on the Roof' and 'The Sound of Music' and telling me how she thought her family line had Jewish blood in it and how she was glad she wasn't living in Europe during WWII.
My Jewish friends often remind me not to think it couldn't happen again, too.
My mother's side is mainly Danish, so it's no surprise to me that the majority of my DNA is Scandinavian according to a DNA test I took years ago with Ancestry.com, but now the company is telling me my Scandinavian DNA jumped from 20% to 39% in a few months since their last update, and my Irish DNA is gone once more and now I have 1% Nepalese DNA, instead of the Southern Indian DNA I used to have (and my other relatives still do on their charts).
Icelandic Sagas and Synchronicity?
I personally take 
Ancestry.com and their story about me with a grain of salt now, since every few months they tell me another story about me with the same result I gave them years ago.
I only took the test so I could tell my own sons about our family history, but who really knows when it comes to DNA tests?

No comments:

Post a Comment