Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 18, 2019

Signs of the Times and Nostalgia?

I saw this newspaper article about the old Myer sign being placed on a new building that was built on the site where the old Myer department store used to be.
There is no Myer store there now though.
On the current site is a cinema complex, apartment buildings, an Aldi supermarket and a heap of restaurants.
I used to drive over from the Brisbane suburb I lived in when I was a teenager, park my car in the old Myer rooftop carpark (which was free in those days) and do clothes, book and music (cassette tapes/LPs/singles) shopping, as I had a Myer credit card (which had a criminal 30% interest rate).
I read this newspaper article days later and found out the sign was lit up on the Friday night of November 30th, 2018.
I was seeing the movie 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at the cinema there during the day of November 30th, 2018 oblivious to the fact it was the new building complex's one year anniversary that day and that there was going to be the lighting ceremony that night.
I was off to a book talk that I had a ticket to that night anyway, which was why I was taking in a movie that afternoon at
Coorparoo Square, so I wouldn't have to go through peak hour freeway traffic from Logan to West End that afternoon -
Ripples from the Wave?
I was never a 'Queen' fan (not that I hated their music ... it was OK) and didn't have any of their music in my collection, but I couldn't stop radio stations running it through my ears while I was driving, so I grew up with it whether I liked it or not.
The cinema was almost full the day I went to see this movie and it was apparent that people in the audience were reliving their memories with some of them singing along to the songs as the movie played.
It's the middle of February and the movie is
still playing at the cinema I noticed.
And I saw this recent piece in the newspaper of a lady who said that she wasn't into 'Queen' either, but has so far seen the movie 62 times at the cinema.
I've seen it twice, so far, so she's 60 viewings ahead of me.
Ah, the power of nostalgia.
"Nostalgia is a sentimentality for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
The word nostalgia is learned formation of a Greek compound, consisting of νόστος (nóstos), meaning "homecoming", a Homeric word, and ἄλγος (álgos), meaning "pain" or "ache", and was coined by a 17th-century medical student to describe the anxieties displayed by Swiss mercenaries fighting away from home.
Described as a medical condition—a form of melancholy—in the Early Modern period, it became an important trope in Romanticism."
After the movie I went outside to find an ATM and saw the local "Black Thunders" from the Brisbane B105 radio station parked outside.
This was probably the station responsible for popping 'Queen' songs into my ear-holes in my youth.
I hate the music B105 play these days (I listen to 4MMM or my iPod in the car now) and never listen to the station by choice anymore.
Some arsehole I used to work with at my last job would put the radio on this station even though the other co-workers hated working to the crap that passes as music on that station today and would plead with him to put it on to a station we could all agree on.
But no, he had to be a total dick just because he knew the rest of us hated working to that ear torturing noise.
I'm glad I don't work with that selfish AH any more ... and he acted like was a devout Christian reading his Bible in the lunchroom at breaks and bringing in his Watchtower magazines for us to read if we ever got that desperate.
I'd hate to see what that prick would have been like without his Christianity, as he was one of the most selfish jerks I ever worked with, and that is saying something.
Can you tell that I'm really looking forward to a reunion with him sometime in the future?-)
The B105 Black Thunders at
Coorparoo November 30th, 2018
There were balloons all around the place and signs saying it was the complex's 1st birthday, but I didn't know it was actually that day.
I thought it was an all week celebration or something like a shopping centre would promote to get people in.
I also noticed that above the article about the Myer sign was a news story about the Metro Arts building, which I found a bit sad, as Metro Arts have to find a new home.
The last event I went to at the Metro Arts theatre was back in 2012 -
My Night in Motherland
And the first event I went to was a movie about Carl Jung, way back when my ex-wife was just my girlfriend and I remembered a then famous local Channel 7 news reader named Mike Higgins and his partner were sitting in the seats right in front of us.
I think that was when I got interested in Jung and his works.
I wondered what Mike was doing now and did a net search and found out that he has been through some battles since.
Ex newsreader Mike is now free of devastating diagnosis
I never heard about that battle of Mike's at the time of that news story.
I hope he is OK now.

I think it was movie I saw?
I guess the signs of nostalgia, melancholy and trauma are all around us.
For those who have eyes to see them that is:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment