Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 15, 2019

SaYINg "Yes" or "No" to the Serpent/Slaying the Dragon?

Valentine's Day
I find it funny that I can sit down on one particular day of the month, like yesterday, the 14th February (AKA Valentine's Day) and a whole heap of events converge to give me a mythological magical perspective on a popular day in a particular month that cycles around every year in our minds.
Valentine's Day started off for me by tearing the previous day from my Chinese calendar that hangs in my kitchen next to my Chinese dragon, a statue I keep there because I was born in the 
Year of the Dragon ... and because I like Chinese dragons.
Februay 5th, New Years Day this year
As Joseph Campbell states in the Power of Myth clip above, the Chinese dragon is a different type of dragon to the European dragon when it comes to mythology.
"Chinese dragons, also known as East Asian dragons, are legendary creatures in Chinese mythology, Chinese folklore, and East Asian culture at large.
Chinese dragons have many animal-like forms such as turtles and fish, but are most commonly depicted as snake-like with four legs.
They traditionally symbolize potent and auspicious powers, particularly control over water, rainfall, typhoons, and floods.
The dragon is also a symbol of power, strength, and good luck for people who are worthy of it in East Asian culture.
During the days of Imperial China, the Emperor of China usually used the dragon as a symbol of his imperial power and strength.
In Chinese culture, excellent and outstanding people are compared to a dragon, while incapable people with no achievements are compared to other, disesteemed creatures, such as a worm.
A number of Chinese proverbs and idioms feature references to a dragon, such as "Hoping one's son will become a dragon" (simplified Chinese: 望子成龙; traditional Chinese: 朢子成龍; pinyin: wàng zǐ chéng lóng)."

Ya Goanna Talk about Dragons, Synchromysticism and Lizards a Month on from Your Queensland Talk Gordon?
Even Gordon who I heard give a talk in my hometown of Brisbane a month ago and who has recently been running around like a Tasmanian devil trying to avoid fires down there in Tasmania put out a talk about dragons to be ready for his listeners for V Day.
Being divorced and personally not giving a toss about
Valentine's Day any more (that day just means it's my sister's birthday and I have to get her a present) and seeing it as more of a day for love-struck suckers to help out florists, retailers and restaurant owners, I sat down at my dining table and watched episode five
'Love and the Goddess' of  'The Power of Myth'  series on Netflix from my iPad.
As I'm sitting at my table watching the 'Love and Goddess' episode, Campbell starts going through the chakra system of ancient India and I notice that the coiled serpent of the root chakra looks a lot like the coil I have hanging on my dining room wall above a Sioux saying.
Maybe that saying should be "from your root chakra to your heart"?-)

The Secret of 'The Revenant'?

As I'm sitting at the dining table watching 'The Power of Myth', I pick up a book I had been reading in January (and had bought from the same store that Gordon White gave his talk) and I flick through to the section about February.
Each month has a predominant colour in this book based on folklore and tradition I gather and the colour for February is red.
The colour for January was white, by the way Gordon;-)
I guess red makes sense when you think of everything associated with the month of February, even down here in Australia where the seasons and climate is ass-backward to the northern part of the planet with most of their celebrations.
But even the lunar movable holiday of Chinese New Year falls in February this year lending even more to the red theme of the month.
I like how the authors of 'The Magpie and the Wardrobe' included a spool of red thread in their collection of red things for February, as with Chinese New Year falling in February this year it makes me think of the Asian belief in the red thread of destiny -
Touch the Red Thread of Destiny
I like the red thread analogy, as I do believe everything is connected in ways that we don't necessarily see.
Also in this book was a section about apple magic for February.
This made me grin for two reasons as I reflected back about thoughts of apples in February.
I sent a reply to Gordon when he said he was evacuating his farm as the fires were getting too close for comfort.
My reply to Gordon was an old Australian saying,
"She'll be apples", which means not to worry because everything will turn out alright.
The Bay of Fires?
My first rational thought when Gordon said he was fleeing the farm was, "looks like the farm's f#cked", but then another thought booted that thought out of my head and the saying, "she'll be apples" came to me and the thought that I should message Gordon this saying, as all of a sudden this feeling washed over me that the farm will be OK when the fires are out.
It was a feeling I often get when I back a winning horse or am about to win money where I aren't hoping I'll win, I know I'm going to win.
The other amusing thing was I finished reading Tom Keneally's new book 'Two Old Men Dying' yesterday, where Tom had named one of his main characters Shellby Apple
(do I have to point it out to you?-)
Six Degrees of Brendan Cowell and Thomas Keneally?
I guess it really is a small world, as Bruce Springsteen would tell you -
The Small World Theory?
I hope that your February 14th turned out smelling like roses, but to me it was a day for watching the wheels go round -
F#ck Valentine's Day, It's Ferris Wheel Day
And listening to Gordon talk about his imaginary dragons;-)
Mirror, mirror on the wall ...?
Talking of THE MIRROR OF MAGIC?!
I guess I had quite a bit to reflect on yesterday;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment