Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

February 11, 2019

COINcidences and Chance?

COINcidence?
"Professor Sir David Spiegelhalter is Chair of the Winton Centre for Risk and Evidence Communication in the University of Cambridge, which aims to improve the way that statistical evidence is used by health professionals, patients, lawyers and judges, media and policy-makers. 
He advises organisations and government agencies on risk communication and is a regular media commentator on statistical issues, with a particular focus on communicating uncertainty.
He has over 200 refereed publications and is co-author of 6 textbooks, as well as
The Norm Chronicles (with Michael Blastland), Sex by Numbers, and The Art of Statistics.
He works extensively with the media, and presented the BBC4 documentaries ‘Tails you Win: the Science of Chanceand the award-winning “Climate Change by Numbers”.
He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 2005, knighted in 2014 for services to medical statistics, and was President of the Royal Statistical Society for 2017-2018"
1/6?
Sir David John Spiegelhalter was born on the 16th August, 1953 and while I don't know the odds of being born on that day if you loved studying the roll of dice, I'd say it would have to be a lot more than 1/6:-)
Maybe Sir David should read Laurence Browne's book, even if he might find it a bit odd?
The Many Faces of COINcidence?
On the other hand, he may find David Hand's book on probability right for his interest on the subject. 
The Improbability Principle: What are the Odds?
Never tell me the odds when it comes to life, as the game seems to be rigged to me.

2 comments:

  1. This David Hand book sounds like a good one! Onto my lists it goes.... I thi you would love Mitch Horowitz's book The Miracle Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read David Hand's book, but I think you would like Laurence Browne's book Trish.
    'The Miracle Club' is on my wish list, as I've heard a lot of good reports about it, but my biggest wish is to get through all of the books I already own but haven't read yet:-)

    ReplyDelete