Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 7, 2024

Colonial and Post Colonial Stories and Just Who Do We Think We Are?✍๐Ÿ“–๐Ÿค”

I've recently completed reading/listening to two books from '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die', which both take place in India.
It was more or less a coincidence that I would read these books back-to-back around the same time, as I was trying to work my way forward in chronological order, as well as trying to work my way back in chronological order from the back of '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die'.
Her novel The Inheritance of Loss won the 2006 Man Booker Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Fiction Award.
In January 2015, The Economic Times listed her as one of 20 "most influential" global Indian women."
I found Kipling's and Desai's books an interesting read, as far as post-colonial India and colonial India go.
Some of my DNA % according to Ancestry,com
And having a small amount of Indian/Nepalese(?) as well as some German ancestry myself (not to mention a fair chunk of British ancestry) it was interesting reading Kiran's novel and then hearing her talk about it on various podcasts.
I find it amusing how Ancestry.com tell me that I have Nepalese DNA, while I see that most of my cousins on my Nan's side have Northern Indian DNA:-)
I guess I still have my German DNA, unlike Miranda Otto does, even though Ancestry,com have cut it down from 20% a few months back to 8% in my latest update:-)
Do we ever really know who we are ... even when we think we know?
I also tried to find an English version of the 1984 'Kim' movie starring Bryan Brown, but could only find a foreign language version on You Tube.
I've met Bryan in person in the last 12 months because he is also an author now -
Nevil Shute is a Dystopian Author?๐ŸŒ๐Ÿ“–
Kim TV Movie (1984)
I also listened to Kipling's short story 'The Man Who Would Be King' and watched the film version starring Michael Caine.
The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
I also listened to a podcast episode of 'Dan Snow's History Hit' titled '
Conan Doyle, Kipling and Kingsley in the Boer War', because the next book I had to read before I died was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Hound of the Baskerviles'
I guess everyone is a story who has a story to tell, and we just have to try and figure out what that story is before we die:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment