Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 30, 2023

BabYlon?πŸŽ₯🎬

Why
(Y?) is the question when it comes to why 
Damien Chazelle wanted to make BabYlon?
I saw it at the cinema yesterday and I still can't make up my mind if it was a good film and whether it is worth watching again to find out.
It's like Damien put 'La La Land' into a blender with Kubrick's 'Eyes Wide Shut', 'The Shining' '2001 ...' and 'A Clockwork Orange' and poured it out onto the big screen.
And it makes 'Eyes Wide Shut' look like a Disney movie.
Kubrick and the Years of the Rabbit?🐰πŸŽ₯πŸ‡
I don't know if it was literally a
piss-take and a dump on Hollywood or something more profound ... or both?
Babylon: Damien Chazelle's poison pen letter to Hollywood?
That review from the Australian ABC news site pretty much sums up my take on the movie so far.
Maybe a second viewing would make me change my tune?
After all I hated Kubrick's 'The Shining' and 'A Clockwork Orange' when I first saw them on the cinema screen on the same day when I was 16 years old and had snuck into the cinema with my older brother's birth certificate to prove that I was 18 ... which probably served me right:-)
I wouldn't say that I like those movies now, just that I appreciate them more now and can see what Kubrick was trying to do by making those movies.
And I still can't hear or see 'Singing in the Rain' without thinking about how 'A Clockwork Orange' destroyed that movie and song for me back when I was 16 -

No comments:

Post a Comment