Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 12, 2023

ONCE Upon a Time.../The Fabelmans?πŸ₯―

I saw
Steven Spielberg's semi-autobiographical movie 'The Fablemans' with my youngest son at the cinema yesterday, and ironically just after hearing the movie had taken out the Golden Gobe for Best Picture and Best Director for a drama film beating 'Everything Everywhere All at Once' literally just a few hours before we saw the movie ourselves.
While
 'The Fablemans' is a good movie, I doubt if it should have been given the GG award over 'Everything Everywhere All at Once' or even 'Elvis' for that matter.
Everything Everywhere All at Once ... Again?
According to the movie's Wikipedia page, "As of January 10, 2023, The Fabelmans has grossed $13.4 million in the United States and $3 million in international territories, for a worldwide gross of $16.4 million."
Which seems pretty disappointing for such a high-profile movie release.
There was only 4 people in the cinema when I went, counting me and my son, but for a Wednesday afternoon at the cinema that is probably just par for the course I would imagine.
I think the movie's marketing suffers for the ambiguity around the lame title 'The Fablemans' being a semi-autobiographical stand in for the Spielberg's surname.
Even if Steven wanted to keep the Fableman surname for the semi-fictious family name, why not call the movie something like 'The Spiel' giving a nod to the family's real surname, as well as alluding to the storytelling aspect of the movie?
The Greatest Show on Earth ... Now Showing
The movie is full of
circus themes throughout anyway.
I don't know how much a movie like 'The Fablemans' appeals to a general cinema going public anyway, as you would have to have an interest in Spielberg's movie career and or know that the movie was about him growing up in the USA before hitting the bigtime in Hollywood.
Coming from a part secular Jewish family background myself I like learning about Jewish families growing up in the post WWII world, but still practicing their faith and culture to an extent for all the world to see.
Julia Butters
It took me half of the movie to realize that Julia Butters was playing one of Spielberg's sisters, which to me gave it that 'Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood' part fable feel to it.
Julia Butters received critical acclaim for her role as Trudi Frazer in Quentin Tarantino's 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'.
I like how Julia's dad's name is Darrin, as when I used to ask my mother why she named me Darren, she told me because she liked Bobby Darrin.
I said then why is my name spelled DARREN and not DARRIN?
Obviously, she didn't know his surname was spelled with an i and not an e, which I'm thankful for growing up and not having to explain to people it's Darren, but with an i instead of an e.
I prefer the old Celtic spelling with an e anyway -
What's in a Name? That Which We Call a Rose by Any Other Name Would ... Be a Meme?
My favorite scene was David Lynch playing movie director John Ford:-)

UPDATE:  Friday the 13th of January 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment