Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

July 19, 2018

Skyscraper: Enter the Dragon?

Went and saw the new Rock movie 'Skyscraper' tonight with my sons just after reading Chris Knowles' 'The Secret Sun' blog post featuring the movie -
Dog Days Media Blitz: A Piece of the Rock
We had planned this night out the week before, so Chris' post had no influence on our decision to go see this movie, though it was good reading that post before heading to the cinema.
We stopped off at the Netherworld/Hellmouth Diner to grab a bite to eat first and I just couldn't resist ordering a 'Siren' vegan sub with a side order of shoestring fries and washing it all down with an 
Alley Cat American Hemp Brown Ale.
The 'Siren' sub and fries
My Hellmouth Diner pin
I even bought a Lovecraftian looking pin as a souvenir from the diner and then went off to play some pinball.
Loving Lovecraft?
There did seem to be a theme running through the place I must say.
If they ever make a sequel to 'The Shape of Water' then this place would be ideal.
I had a good night out seeing 'Skyscraper' as it was a fun movie.
The effects were good, although the story was pretty ordinary, I thought.
If you do plan on seeing 'Skyscraper' I recommend reading the post at 'The Secret Sun' first for a bit of a "what the..." reaction.
Oh and bear this scene from 'Enter the Dragon' in mind, as that's pretty much the ending in a nutshell right there.
'Skyscraper' is more like a fun-house of mirrors than a 
tower of terror.
Oddly enough, I met one of the stars of 'Skyscraper' just a few blocks away from the Hellmouth Diner at a cinema in person when I won tickets that year to see his film 'He Died with a Felafel in His Hand'.
There was no Hellmouth Diner back then though.
Noah Taylor in 'Skyscraper'
And that year was 2001.
I actually keep the movie pass on a bookshelf in a envelope rack wedged between a real American one dollar note and a fake 
9/11 one dollar note.
I didn't even realize 'He Died with a Felafel in His Hand' was released just before 9/11 until now when I looked up its release date at the movie's IMDB page.
I even met the author of the book the movie was based on at a writers festival in Brisbane.
John had a broken (or at least bandaged) left hand when I asked him if he could sign his book for me.
I remember saying lucky it wasn't your right hand, to which he replied
"but, I'm left handed".
So he signed what he said was up until then, the only right handed signature of his book in the world
(what a lucky break for me;-)

Six Synchronistic Degrees of Fred Schepisi
It's a small, weird, synchy and sometimes frightening world that we all live in it would seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment