Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

July 19, 2018

The Birds of the Four Directions?

The birds of the 4 directions from
 the book '
Bird Medicine'
Reading any metaphysical book written in the northern hemisphere when you happen to live in the southern part of the world as I do can be confusing when it comes to directions and seasons.
Bird Card Medicine?
I'm enjoying reading 'Bird Medicine', but I was wondering if eagles in the north, hawks in the east, owls in the west and (my favourite of the four) crows in the south still translates down here in Australia?
To head south down here means going towards Antarctica and north towards the equator.
East and west would still be similar though, because the sun still rises in the east and sets in the west.
Yesterday (or the day before, I'm not sure now since time passes so quickly these days;-) I was trying to figure it all out when I was reading about the Red-tailed Hawk being the gatekeeper of the east and about its red tail feathers.
I had the radio still on in the kitchen from when I was doing the dishes, but I was sitting at the table reading 'Bird Medicine' when a song that was requested by some listener came on.
The song was 'Dragon's 'Young Years' sung by Marc Hunter, the then lead singer, who has since passed on (it must have been July 17th I heard it since that was Marc's birthday and would make sense).
Written by Alan Mansfield and Sharon O'Neill?
I'm not a 'Dragon' fan really, but my younger brother was (probably still is) and in our young years my brother would often go watch 'Dragon' play at the Mansfield Tavern.
Sometimes he'd ask if I was interested in going to see 'Dragon' and other bands that played there, but I steered clear of the 
Mansfield Tavern, having gone to high school in the area and not wanting to run into any old "friends" with a few drinks under their belt and who I knew frequented the tavern.
Looking back now I never set foot in the Mansfield Tavern at all. 
When I heard a 'Dragon' song was about to come on I was thinking of switching the radio off, but then the DJ said it was going to be their song 'Young Years', a song I don't mind and hadn't heard for quite some time, so I left the radio on, not thinking too much about it.
Just as I was about to read the word "broken" in the book 
Marc Hunter's voice said the first word of  the 'Young Years' song which was also "broken".
That got my attention and I then listened to Marc sing a few more lyrics of the song.

Young Years
Broken cars, old guitars
Waiting here for the time to pass
Time takes it's toll it took it fast
Secret meetings at the rivers bend
Simple days when I called you friend
Came a time we went separate ways

Those were our young years, our wings were drying in the sun
Now the winter, at our window, feels so cold
Where are our young years?

Everything seen better days, boats in which we sailed away
Lie all rusted on rocky ground
Here we sit with a schooner of ale
Dreaming of a wind that'll make us sail
Taking us far away
Do you remember how it was
We had the moon and tide behind us
We used to take it out up to here 

Those were our young years, our wings were drying in the sun
Now the winter, at our window, feels so cold
Where are our young years
Back in our young years, sometimes the good did not die young 
Now we live, on memories alone
Of our young years

If we had the moon and tide behind us
We could sail so far away
And time will pass and things will change
Our memories would fade away

Those were our young years
You know we live it all again
We could turn the tide and sail way
Back to our young years
I couldn't make out some of the lyrics on the radio, so I looked up the You Tube of the song was dancing around with a couple of feathers in his hat, one being a red one.
Probably not hawk feathers, but I was reading about 
Red-tailed Hawk feathers at the time, so I thought it was all rather "coincidental" at the time. 
I have never seen any eagles or hawks up close in real life, but I did see a Peregrine Falcon snatch a small bird out of my garden one day when I was looking out of my kitchen window in the house I had when I was married.
And to prove my point about the northern and southern hemispheres and bird medicine I found the above birth totem.
I'm born on September 23rd, so for me being born in Australia this would be my bird, even though I tend to relate to crows and ravens in my life, which if I was born on the same day in the northern hemisphere would have been my birth totem.
Sometimes here in Australia I don't know which way is up when it comes to the birds of the four directions, but I won't let it get me down though;-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment