Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

September 5, 2018

Mind Sharks in the 'Year of the Dog'?

I snapped a shot of this card-board cut-out in a cinema foyer on Sunday night when my boys shouted me to diner and a movie for Father's Day
2018 the 'Year of the Dog'?
I got to pick the movie, and I did want to see 'The Meg', but my boys had already seen it, so I chose 'Crazy Rich Asians' instead, to see just why it was the #1 movie that week.
To be honest, I still don't know why.
I'm not into the "Rom Com" really, but if this movie can make number one at the box office, then I say Michelle Law is sitting on a goldmine with her really good play 'Single Asian Female'.
Single Asian Female
If they could make a movie half as good as the play 'Single Asian Female' it would put 'Crazy Rich Asians' into the "also ran" category of box office takings, I think.
'Crazy Rich Asians' does have some moments, but it's a bit of a yawn and there is more romantic than comedy in this movie.
A food scene from 'Crazy Rich Asians'
I think 'Crazy Rich Asians' works because it rams home the importance of friends and family over work and chasing money.
Although this movie is more of a "you can have your cake and eat it too" when it comes to family and money, which in the end seems like a bit of a cop out Cinderella formula film.
My Father's Day meal: Veggie burger,
beer and sweet potato
fries 
I couldn't help noticing the little deep-frier basket my sweet potato fries were served in on Sunday night for some reason, and I was glad that I ordered a beer and not a martini ... not that it stirred my anxiety though;-)
Deep-Fried Happenstance?
Cute, but scary scene from 'The Meg'
As fate would have it, on Father's Day in Australia my team the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks beat the Can'terbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in the NRL, which made my day.
The Sharks play the Sydney Roosters this weekend, and while I'm not counting my chickens just yet, I have to say that the signs do look auspicious, unless we flake out;-)
And while I didn't get to see 'The Meg' on Sunday night, as fate would have it, I came back to the cinema and saw it yesterday on "cheap Tuesday".
The young lady at the box office asked where I would like to sit and I asked if seat F8 was available and as fate would have it it was.
But in all of the movies I have seen at the cinema I have never witnessed a movie get jammed halfway through the movie and take ten minutes to get going again.
The movie jammed on this scene for some reason:-)
The movie pretty much came to a halt on this scene above, which struck me as comical, because whatever the actress was alluding to was anything but MEGA:-) 
The movie started and then jammed again on this scene
And just to ram home a point the movie would get going and then stop again for a minute with the audience clueless as to just what was being alluded to on the screen.
Hmm ... staring at the monolith?
Then the screen went blank until the projectionist could work out what went wrong.
For once I was glad I had my phone to look at until the movie got going again.
When the movie did get going it started with a guy in a blue, black and white track suit, which could almost be a Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks top.
The main reason I went to see 'The Meg' was because Ruby Rose was in it, as she has been in a lot of personal and collective pop-cultural synchronicities I've been noticing lately.
Water?
Flow?
Going with the flow?
I saw these two news stories in the August 9th, 2018, Brisbane newspaper spread, and it was first the giant blow-up white whale used at the Commonwealth Games earlier this year at the Gold Coast that caught my attention, then it was a story on Ruby Rose, and then it was that sad looking neon dog, which reminded me that 2018 was the Chinese 'Year of the Dog' and that the "black dog" is the mascot for depression.
Ruby's tattoo on her left hand of a dog
with blue bubble in the backgroun
d
From a Brisbane paper on August 14th, 2018
Is that dog half black ... or half white?-)
I'm also reading Sarah Wison's book about living with anxiety and depression at the moment, too.
Ruby Rose in a scene from 'The Meg'
Scenes from 'The Meg'
This newspaper story above was also in the August 9th, 2018 newspaper that the neon dog story was in.
And the state of Victoria is Ruby Rose's home Australian state.
My Ruby Rose and the Giant Peach Synch
A page from Matt Haig's
'
Notes on a Nervous Planet'
Sharks are certainly big on my radar at the moment:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment