Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

September 22, 2018

Humour in Today’s Society ... and in Synchomysticism and Synchronicity?

I recently bought a ticket to see P!nk in concert in my hometown of Brisbane after I attended the Byron Writers Festival in August.
I never intended to go to this concert held two weeks after the writers festival until I heard Brigid Delaney tell her WTF(?) P!nk story twice in two sessions at the BWF that I was in the audience for.
The day the snake came and my struggles with P!nk disappeared
MESSY MONKEYS MIND?
'The Serious Business of Writing
Humour'
talk at the BWF
One of those sessions was in the talk titled, 'The Serious Business of Writing Humour' where you can hear Brigid tell the sync story about P!nk (around the 25 min mark) in this podcast that was recorded of the talk from the BWF on the ABC's 'Big Ideas' radio show -
Humour in today’s society on Big Ideas
I never even knew who Brigid Delaney was until I attended a few talks at Byron and Brigid just happened to be on those panels with other writers who I wanted to hear.
Brigid with Sarah Wilson in 'The Wellness Industry'
 talk where both were sick with the flu
The first talk I heard Brigid tell her P!nk story was in a talk called 'The Wellness Industry' with Sarah Wilson (who was the author I went to hear) on the Saturday morning of the festival and ironically both authors had the flu (influenza).
Brigid (green dress) on stage at the
'Bedtime Stories'
show in Byron Bay
Thomas Keneally telling his rather
 weird bedtime story on stage
I'd gone to see a show on Friday night called 'Bedtime Stories' and that was the first time I had heard Brigid talk during the festival.
Brigid's bedtime story was a twist on 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' children's book.
I went along because Thomas Keneally was in the show.
Keneally's List
So, it wasn't until Saturday morning at the "wellness" talk that I found out from a sick Brigid that P!nk was staying in the same grounds that the festival was being held in because P!nk was sick and taking time out from her concert tour of Australia to recover.
'The Serious Business of Writing Humour'
talk at the BWF
The Serious Business of Writing Humour and Drawing Your Weapons?
Funny?
The second time Brigid told the P!nk story was in the above talk on the Sunday morning of the festival, which was when I decided to see if I could get a ticket to see P!nk play in Brisbane.
Forget diesel and dust: Australia is now a suburban, middle-aged P!nk fan(Brigid Delaney, that is)
P!nk's OK, but I disagree with Brigid's above newspaper story about P!nk.
P!nk's shows are a spectacular and worth seeing, but I don't own any P!nk music and don't intend to either, and not that I'm a 'Midnight Oil' fan, but P!nk isn't among my favourites like Springsteen, Imagine Dragons, Lenny Kravitz, Missy Higgins or Paul Kelly, whose music I do own and would rather hear on my speakers. 
But talking of trauma and music that I definitely don't want to hear on my speakers, I see Phil Collins is getting ready to tour Australia and that is one concert you couldn't pay me to go see.
The Clockwork Orange Effect?
"Nooooo ... please not Phil Collins
... please stop
!";-)
And nothing against Phil Collins personally, he's probably a nice guy, but I don't want to hear his music again in this lifetime at least.
And I must say that calling your tour 'Not Dead Yet' Phil is really tempting fate to play one of its cruel ironic jokes on you.
His concert is even advertised in the colours of my favourite football club (black, white and blue) and the colours used to decorate my wedding in 88, which was the year the NRL team that I hate the most came into the competition, and he is even playing in their stadium.
And to top it off last night while watching my team bow out in the semi-final to the team, I hate the second most in the comp, Phil's song 'In the Air Tonight' came across the TV set's speakers from the ground when the Sharks were down 20 points to 0.
Maybe next year?-)
Some people come into your life with their music just to bring you trauma it would seem:-)
David Foster Wallace was right – even in paradise we will need the internet?
"Said Foster Wallace: “(Entertainment) is fine in low doses.
But that there’s something about the machinery of our relationship to it that … we don’t stop at low doses.
Entertainment’s chief job is to make you so riveted by it that you can’t tear your eyes away, so the advertisers can advertise,” said Foster Wallace in 1996.
“And the tension of the book [Infinite Jest] is to try and make it at once extremely entertaining and also sort of warped – and to sort of shake the reader awake about some of the things that are sinister in entertainment.”
In the
1990s, the addiction to tech took on more passive forms (think Kurt Cobain singing with dead eyes “here we are now entertain us”).
It was channel-surfing and binging on eight hours of TV – “an easy way to fill in the emptiness”, said Foster Wallace, who described himself as a television addict."
The Clockwork Apple?-)
Daniel's 
"Hi, How Are You?" t-shirt
The frog seems to be on a slow boil to me;-)
But there are some benefits to modern technology, emojis and the internet I feel, for instance while I don't have any photos around my home to remind me of my ex-wife I do have an emoji with her name written in its mouth to remind me of what sort of person she turned out to be, and there is still one Phil Collins song floating around the net to warn me not to be in any hurry when it comes to marriage again ... ever;-)
You might not be dead yet Phil, but your music is killing me like a musical PTSD.
I must state in my will to ban all Phil Collins songs at my funeral, as that would really kill me to hear one there:-)
My idea of hell would be a never-ending Phil Collin's "Greatest Hits" record.
Did you think that was a joke?-)
"I'm not dead just floating ..."?-)

No comments:

Post a Comment