Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

September 2, 2018

The Last Blockbuster?

I saw this news story on the BBC news website about the last Blockbuster video store in the USA and found it kind of sad, as I'm a member of one of the last Blockbuster stores in Australia and I wonder just how long it will be before its doors close forever -
The last Blockbuster: 'I'm proud that we've survived'
"Over 10 years ago, the Blockbuster chain, known for short-term rentals of films on video cassette and DVD, numbered 9,000 stores around the world.
After a decline in the 2000s, the company filed for bankruptcy in the US in 2010.
The store in
Bend, Oregon, is a franchise and became the last one after two independent locations in Alaska shut down in July."

The store in Bend, Oregon
My still current (but for how long?)
Blockbuster membership card
Now most of these stores are being replaced by vending machines placed in or outside shopping centres. 
Maybe my store has already closed its doors, as I haven't rented a movie for a few months and when I keyed up the Blockbuster store finder, I'm told the nearest store to me is in Toowoomba, which is 120 klicks away from my place.
Which ain't exactly up around the bend for me:-)
Rodney Ascher's video 'The Nightmare' on my local Blockbuster shelf
The Nightmare of Sleep Paralysis
I guess there is always Netflix to watch on my iPad for when I can't sleep now ... or because I don't sleep now:-)
Today in Australia is Father's Day and my sons are taking me out to the movies (after I watch the Sharks win in the football that is;-) and said I could choose the movie.
I said how about 'Crazy Rich Asians'?
My youngest son says "you do know that's a romantic comedy?", and I said "yeah, but most romances turn out to be nothing but a joke in the end anyway.";-)
At least we still have the cinema to go to, I guess.
And more real places gone from my memories overnight, as a hotel I used to frequent on match-days with my family going to Brisbane Lions games back in the early 00s goes up in flames -
Broadway Hotel in Woolloongabba destroyed by fire, police investigating

No comments:

Post a Comment