Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

December 5, 2018

Netflix Sunk the Video Store?

I wrote a post earlier in the year about my local video store -
The Last Blockbuster?
And I was surprised to pick up a local October 30th, 2018, newspaper to see the lady from my video store who I had had many a chat to about movies over the years, as I either returned or rented movies from her store, was closing up shop.  
The October 30th, 2018, newspaper
I've got to say looking back through 2018 that I can see why I picked this wall calendar I wrote about at the start of the year -
2018 and that Sinking/Synching Feeling?
The number of times I have picked up a paper this year to see a story about a drowning, or some water tragedy, seems rather too common this year.
This newspaper with the video store closure in it had the Indonesian plane that crashed into the ocean on the front page and a story about drownings over the top of the video store story.
I guess with the Netflix, STAN and Fox streaming services now running strong, the video store's days were numbered.
Now if I want to rent a movie, I have to pull one out of a robot at the local supermarket.
The range isn't great, and I don't like using these things, so I don't intend to rent from the robot again unless I'm desperate to see a movie and this is the only way to see it.
The night I had to return the above movie there was a serve storm in the area, so I would rather view a movie on Fox or Netflix now than have to make a trip to the store to return the movie.
But their range of movies aren't much better than the DVD machine, either.
A Star is Born as Two Stars Die?
It didn't take me long to miss my local video store when I decided to see the latest 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' movie and tried to get up to speed by watching all the previous 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' movies, since I hadn't seen any of these movies before, or even have read any of the novels.
I got to watch the three Swedish 'Girl' movies on Netflix, but I couldn't get the first English one anywhere.
I'll bet I could have found it at my old reliable source if it was still open.
The Nightmare of Sleep Paralysis
In a future post I'll explain why I was going to watch the new 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' movie at a local cinema, as it's not a bad little synchronicity story.

UPDATE:
Signs That I Should See 'The Girl in the Spider's Web'?

No comments:

Post a Comment