Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 29, 2018

Washing Up is Good for You?

I wrote a post recently about attending a book-talk with the author of a book called 'The Hunter', which was a collection of short stories -
What Are We Going to Do About the Ibis?
The last story in 'The Hunter' is a story titled 'Look for the Silver Lining' about a guy named Duncan who accidentally saws both his hands off with an electric power-saw and has two hooks for hands, but Duncan teaches himself to play Jerome Kern's song 'Look for the Silver Lining' on a piano with his toes.
I also mentioned in that post Judy Garland singing 'Look for the Silver Lining' and included a video of her singing this song while washing a hellish looking load of dishes in a sink.
But what I didn't mention was that on the night of the talk I also picked up a book on mindfulness called 'Washing Up is Good for You'.
Life is a meditation and being in sink/synch with
bubbling subconscious thoughts can be magic I think:-)
I liked the idea of this book, as to me life is one big meditation and I see no difference in sitting still and looking at a candle flame or watching my hands (and being thankful for having two good hands) doing the dishes in the sink and being grateful for clean running water delivered through my pipes and into my sink, being thankful for the food I have eaten that day and having clean dishes to eat off every day.
Two good hands?-)
... and do the dishes;-)
And I'm grateful to have no nagging partner in my ear as I sink into my daily practice, either:-)
My old wedding ring now laying off
the
Byron coastline somewhere
Oops ... wrong book;-)
All clean, now back to chopping wood;-)
Thank heavens for running hot water and a sink, I say
Just great, another cup to wash up
Sometimes though in times of stress and too many dirty dishes I do wonder why I got rid of my dishwasher.
InnSæi: The Sea Within, To See Within, To See from the Inside Out
Cuttlefish are the Rockstar Aliens of the Sea?
Things Go Better with cOKe?
F*ck both Cokes I say ... even though I'm guilty of drinking the odd can from time to time.
Gardening can be as good as washing up, too;-)
I've never been much of a tea drinker
 to be honest, but it's
OK sometimes:-)
I'm a coffee drinker ... when I'm not drinking beer or wine
What does 'Nature abhors a vacuum' mean?
Sure, housework sucks at times, but this book does give you something to think about as you tidy up ... or not;-)
I like this book quite a bit and will be reading more, right after I do the dishes ... again.
Illuustration from Milk and Honey
""I'm Stepping Out" is the last single from the final John Lennon and Yoko Ono album Milk and Honey.
In it, Lennon celebrates his enthusiasm for the night life of New York City, and makes tongue-in-cheek reference to his "househusband" period.
It reached number 88 in the UK Singles chart, and in the US at number 55 in the US Billboard Hot 100 and number 57 on the Cashbox Top 100."
Looking Through Glasses?
The housework never ends it seems, and I have to go and clean the cards up off the table now;-)

UPDATE: August 30th, 2018
I guess we always have a choice as to how we approach the dishes and our environment;-)

UPDATE: August 31st, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment