Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

June 17, 2019

"Alas! Poor Franco. I knew him." Mel?

Director: Franco Zeffirelli
I'd only just listened to Mel Gibson on an episode of the podcast 'Aussies in Hollywood' tell at around the 32nd minute mark how there was only one director he didn't get along with when acting in a movie and that was Franco Zeffirelli -
Aussies in Hollywood Podcast: Mel Gibson
I presumed Franco had already died when I was listening to the podcast a few weeks back, but not so I see at the BBC -
Italian film director Franco Zeffirelli dies at 96
Franco passed away a couple of days ago.
I had not seen Mel Gibson in 'Hamlet', as I don't like most of Shakespeare's shit, except for Baz Lurman's 'Romeo & Juliet' movie. 
The only movie I remember liking of Franco's was the 1979 movie 'The Champ'.
But now I hardly remember what happened in the movie except the kid crying and calling out to his dad "Champ".
Although, I do remember dragging my Grandmother along to see the movie 'Brother Sun, Sister Moon' at the cinema when I was about 10 years-old, not knowing anything about it.
I used to go to anything that was on at the cinema when I was around that age and that I could get into.
And if it was on in the city I had to talk my Grandmother into taking me.
I never knew the movie was about St.Francis of Assisi and St.Clare.
I thought it was some kinky film about a love affair between a brother and sister, so it all went over my 10 year-old head.
I'd like to see it again now, though, as St.Francis is one of my favourite saints.
Watching the trailer of 'Brother Sun, Sister Moon' on You Tube I thought it was amusing that the actor playing St. Francis is trying to catch a sparrow when Franco's name appears on the screen, because in, "January 2018, actor Johnathon Schaech accused Zeffirelli of sexually assaulting him during the production of Sparrow (1993) in 1992. 
Schaech, now 48, wrote in People magazine that he was 22 years old when Zeffirelli pestered him during the day, verbally abused him, and tried to enter his room at night, forcing him to lock the door.
Then one night in Sicily, Schaech wrote, the director got a key, entered Schaech's room and his bed and assaulted him.
Zeffirelli denied the allegation."
I was going to write that a little birdy told me about that, but I just read it in the Trivia section at Zeffirelli's IMDB page.
Which probably goes a long way to explaining why Franco favoured posters like this one below for his movies:-)
Franco's last film as a director was titled 'Zeffirelli's Inferno', which kind of sychromystically pays homage in my mind to the last season of 'Game of Thrones' in that screenshot above don't you think.
Maybe Franco was only hanging around to see what happened in GOT?-)
And the answer was a rating of 4.2 in the end, which is probably not the answer most viewers were wanting.
Alas?

No comments:

Post a Comment