Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 13, 2019

Little Shop of Environmental Horrors?

Give us this day our mini-bread?
Junk Mail headlines?!
I picked up my local newspaper the other day and all over the front and back pages was basically full page adverts for an Australian supermarket chain promoting miniature plastic collectibles of some of their major product lines.
Ironically there is even a plastic gift card to collect:-)
I thought how ironic that a supermarket that had just banned single use plastic shopping bags was now highlighting the plastic problem they already had on their shelves by making plastic miniatures of them to get children to pester their parents to shop there and collect these "toys" for them, as well as purchase bigger plastic accessories to help make playing with these miniatures more fun.
Well ... at least Coles got rid of those single use shopping bags I guess, but it really does highlight the problem of trying to buy something from the supermarket that isn't wrapped or comes in plastic.
My plastic bread wrappers on my wooden tabletop
When I first read about these mini-collectibles I had a feeling that if I ever got one I'd bet money on it that it would be the small loaf of bread ... and I was right.
I bought $30 worth of petrol and two packets of potato chips from my local Shell petrol station that happened to be run by the Coles supermarket chain and the operator asked me if I wanted a collectible, as my purchase had qualified me for a free one if I wanted to take it.
I nearly said no, but I was intrigued to see if my 30-1 odds hunch was right, plus I knew my niece was collecting these things for her kids, so I said OK and surprise, surprise (and I was) I got a mini loaf of plastic bread.
And it made me realize just how much plastic has gone through my home as far as shampoo bottles, toothpaste tubes, razors, toothbrushes, frozen pea packets, bread wrappers, food containers, drink bottles etc, even though I do make the effort to sort it all into my recycling and general waste bins, which probably all just gets sent to Asia and then dumped at sea for all I know.
Even the wheelie bins are plastic:-(
It makes me wonder how our environment will look in 25 years time.
But who really cares I guess when we can ask ourselves are things really as bad as they seem for the future of our children's planet?
As long as we can clear a patch of sand from the plastic to stick our heads in then we can tell ourselves she'll be right, right?
I was going to shop at Woolworths in protest to all of this plastic nonsense, but it's a real jungle out there as far as shopping goes -
Lion King Ooshies?

No comments:

Post a Comment