Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 19, 2019

How Many Redheads Can Dance on the Head of a Match and How Many Dames Can Be Painted Down-Under?

I saw the above news story at the ABC news-site and my brain(?) started snapping together all sorts of personal and pop-cultural recent events that had come together in my world of thought.
Where Is My Mind?
Where is My Mind and Guess Whose Mum's Got a Whirlpool?
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
""How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" (alternatively "How many angels can stand on the point of a pin?") is a reductio ad absurdum challenge to medieval scholasticism in general, and its angelology in particular, as represented by figures such as Duns Scotus and Thomas Aquinas.
It is first recorded in the 17th century, in the context of Protestant apologetics.
It also has been linked to the fall of Constantinople, with the imagery of scholars debating while the Turks besieged the city.
In modern usage, the term has lost its theological context and is used as a metaphor for wasting time debating topics of no practical value, or questions whose answers hold no intellectual consequence, while more urgent concerns accumulate."
July 26th?!
"Comparing medieval superstition and modern science,
George Bernard Shaw wrote in the introduction to the play
Saint Joan that "The medieval doctors of divinity who did not pretend to settle how many angels could dance on the point of a needle cut a very poor figure as far as romantic credulity is concerned beside the modern physicists who have settled to the billionth of a millimetre every movement and position in the dance of the electrons.""
"Sir Donald Bradman"Australian 20 cent coin minted 2001
The picture above was taken when I was married and that wedding ring I threw into the ocean off Cape Byron when I was divorced, so talk about deeper waters I guess?-)
Throwing that wedding ring in the ocean was one of the smartest things I ever did, but getting married to the woman I did was the biggest dumb thing I ever did in my life, even if I did get two great sons out of that relationship.
What the hell was I thinking when I married her?-)
I light my candle with Redheads matches
A book I purchased at a visit to QAGOMA last year
The matches I use to light my candles:-)
"Redheads is an Australian brand of matches, originally manufactured by Bryant and May in Richmond, Victoria, but now manufactured in Sweden by Swedish Match.
It is Australia's top-selling match brand."
Redheads are made in Sweden now?!
"Redheads were first produced by Bryant & May in Australia in 1909.
The Redhead name refers to the red striking-heads of the matches, which were first sold in Australia in 1946.
The logo on the matchbox depicts the head and left shoulder of a redheaded woman, and has had four major updates since its introduction, with a number of special issues also produced."
Think smaller than a freshwater pearl?!
Coffee and the Siren's Song
To see this news story certainly led my mind down a deep rabbit hole, and to think George Bernard Shaw, Carl Jung and
Stanley Kubrick where all born on July 26th;-)
Released in the USA on July 26th, 2019?!
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Under the Silver Lake and the Milky Way?
A coat made of hand stitched possum furs?!
Barry Humphries
In New Zealand possums are considered an environmental pest and you are allowed and probably encouraged to hunt and kill them, but in my country Australia you can't (and why would you if you could anyway?).
A DΓ©jΓ  vu News Story Greets Me This Morning
Opportunity?
Ironically, I met Miriam Lancewood in Byron Bay last year and bought a copy of her book after hearing her give a talk about hunting and killing possums in New Zealand and eating them for food.
I'm not a Vegan or a Vegetarian, but the thought of killing possums, never mind the thought of eating them was to me like killing and eating cats or dogs. 
Three Queens, a Women in the Wilderness and Sea-lions?
I remember listening to Miriam tell how she went from growing up a Vegetarian to hunting, killing and eating possums, hares, rabbits, goats, wild turkeys and deer.
For some reason it was the thought of eating possum that made me think WTF?
I've eaten goat, rabbit and turkey before (although I never killed them myself and don't eat them now), but possum just struck me as barbaric like the thought of people in Asia eating dogs turns my guts.
A picture from the  '40 Cute Small Animal Pictures' site
But who am I to judge anyone I guess, after all the meat-eating I've done in my life over the years?
Eye Sync, Therefore I Am, Too?-)
Sick kiwis and dead possums?
In Australia we celebrate our possums in children's storybooks, plays and even coins.
Then again, who are us Aussies to judge New Zealanders killing and eating possums, right?
Farmageddon in the Year of the Pig?
Bloody Kiwis;-)
Apart from all the killing and eating of animals in Miriam's book, it is a really good read and does make you think, I think.
And there is a section in the book when an elderly neighbour who lives by herself knocks on Miriam's door in the middle of a 
New Zealand winter and asks if she can borrow some matches to light her fire and stay warm.
I wonder if they were Redheads?

No comments:

Post a Comment