Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

July 26, 2022

Plain/Plane American English and the Fear of Flying?

I’ve been on a jet plane only 3 times in my entire life (and once in a single engine propeller plane for a joy flight) not because I have a fear of flying, although each time I was up in the air I wondered if this was going to be the last thing I did before dying in a crash, but I also think that thought every time I get into a car, whether I’m driving or not.
Listening to a podcast episode today called ‘Plane English’ about the 737 MAX while reading the novel ‘Fear of Flying’ from where I was up to when I placed it aside a few months back, made me reflect back to the day I picked the novel up and stated reading it in the first place.
On March 26th, 2022 I picked Erica Jong’s novel ‘Fear of Flying’ out of my bookcase thinking I should read this book and either keep it, or give it to a secondhand bookshop, as I bought it years ago after seeing the book on one of those “books you have to read before you die” lists... and the book angel was telling me that I ain’t getting any younger, so I started reading it on March 26th wondering if Erica was still alive.
Turned out after looking her up at her Wikipedia page she was and that March 26th is her birthday:-)
I’ve read halfway through since March, and I had put it aside to read a few other books since then, but I’ve picked it up again now I have finished those other books ... but Here’s The Thing ... back then in March when I was looking for podcasts featuring Erica I found an old podcast episode on Alec Baldwin’s podcast Here’s The Thing’ and then I listened to a more recent episode where Alec talked to Rory Kennedy about her new Netflix movie ‘Downfall’ which made me never want to get on Boeing 737 MAX in the near future, especially if I head off to Singapore in a year or two, like I’m planning to.
Knowing my luck I’ll still get hit by an Airbus:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment