Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 16, 2018

The Shadow-snake and the Shamanistic Magickal World of Alan Moore?

Well, timing is everything as they say, because I've been meaning to watch my DVD copy of 'The Mindscape of Alan Moore' for one last time before giving it away to my youngest son today.
I'd already given him 'The Killing Joke' and a few other works of Alan Moore's from my bookcases to keep and was even thinking about giving him my action figure of Dr. Manhattan that sits above me on my computer desk, the one I wrote about in this old post -
Dr. Manhattan Dies
I had long given away that flag you see behind Dr. Manhattan in that old post and from time to time I go on a de-cluttering binge and give away stuff I don't feel I need around me anymore.
I thought I had learned all I needed from watching this DVD years before, but it's amazing what goes over your head and how you can view the same DVD in a different light after a few more years of living.
"The DVD was released by Shadowsnake Films in April 2008 and in September of the same year Disinfo released it in the United States.
It is made up of two discs, the first containing the main 80-minute interview and the second includes interviews with some of his major collaborators like Dave Gibbons, David Lloyd, Melinda Gebbie, as well as Paul Gravett."
I guess Roger Ebert was right with his quote pictured above:-)
After watching the DVD again, I found a lot of mind gems relating to current events and themes, so I decided that I'll be holding onto the DVD for the time being.
I was even undecided about giving the Dr. Manhattan action figure away to my son, if he wanted it, and then bizarrely enough as I went to go start writing this post, I saw someone had recently viewed my old 'Dr. Manhattan Dies' post ... twice.
So, I decided it can stay there on my desk for the time being, as well.
I had written about the snake dropping from the ceiling of a Chinese bank last night -
Snake or S(er)PENT?
And all of the snake stories in the news recently, so to see Moore's film having a production company called 'Shadowsnake' and Moore laying down Crowley's version of 'The World' card of the tarot on the table first, kind of got my attention from the get-go, since it features a snake
Drowning, Not Wave-ing: World's Most Popular Artist?
Is the Siren Song an Archetypal Swan Song for Our Times Telling Us That We Have Buckley's Chance?
Starsailor (album)
"On June 28, 1975, Tim Buckley completed the last show of a tour in Dallas, playing to a soldout crowd of 1,800 people.
He celebrated the culmination of the tour with a weekend of drinking with his band and friends, as was his normal routine.
On the evening of June 29, 1975, Buckley accompanied longtime friend Richard Keeling back to his house.
What happened next is unclear, but at some point Keeling produced a bag of heroin, which Buckley ingested.
Buckley's reaction
to the heroin put him in such a bad condition that friends took him home.
Upon his return, his wife Judy, seeing his inebriated state, laid him on the living-room floor and questioned his friends as to what had happened.
Judy then moved Buckley into bed.
Checking on him later, she found he had turned blue and was no longer breathing.
Attempts by friends and paramedics to revive him were unsuccessful, and he was pronounced dead on arrival."
"In Amy Hardie’s recent documentary film, The Edge of Dreaming, she encounters a huge snake that devours her during a shamanic healing.
Out of this experience, she recovered from what appeared to be a fatal lung disease.
Why the snake?
Perhaps the commonest dream symbol of transcendence is the snake, as represented by the therapeutic symbol of the Roman god of medicine Aesclepius, which has survived to modern times as a sign of the medical profession.
This was originally a nonpoisonous tree snake; as we see it, coiled around the staff of the healing god, it seems to embody a kind of mediation between earth and heaven.
Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols, page 153
The serpent is the age-old representative of the lower worlds, of the belly with its contents and the intestines.
Carl Jung (source)"

Is that a snake-headed walking stick Moore has in his hand?
Snakes in the Psyche

No comments:

Post a Comment