Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

October 24, 2020

Kingfishers, Weddings, Rings and Superstitions?

My ring with wedding date inscribed inside
19/11/88 -
(last seen heading for the Pacific Ocean)
I was reading Max Cryer's book about superstitions yesterday and came across an entry about kingfisher superstitions, and in one part of Russia it was written that the Ostiac people believed that carrying a small bag containing the skin, bill and claws of a (dead) kingfisher would provide freedom from fear.
The kingfisher that Father Bob kept in his freezer
I'd not heard of that superstition before, but it got me to thinking about a post I wrote about a movie I saw on Father Bob's life and how he kept a dead kingfisher in the freezer, plus the eeriness surrounding an incident in the film that took place on my wedding anniversary -
In (Saint) Bob We Trust
It was a kingfisher smashing into my living room window of my old house that got me to start blogging, too.
I have not seen a living sacred kingfisher in the wild since that day, either.
The Bird that Flew into the Window
It makes me wonder sometimes where religion ends and superstition begins?
I guess everyone thinks their Belief System is the one true belief system when it comes to the way things work down here?-)
Anyway, after reading about the kingfisher superstition in my book I saw a movie on my Netflix list called 'Untamed Romania' which featured a picture of a kingfisher, and so I decided to watch that movie.
And while the movie was worth watching, it bearly had a kingfisher in it, focusing instead on bears, wild horses, wolves, butterflies, mayflies, snakes, fish, lynx, and a few other animals and their eating, hunting, fighting and survival habits.
Zookeeper mauled to death
by bears
in China?
What I learned from watching that movie is that life is very beautiful and intelligent, but also very cruel.
Although, I already knew that anyway:-)
Books and Superstitions?
I couldn't help noticing that Father Bob shares his birthday with Sam Neill and I wondered if this was a bad omen?-)

No comments:

Post a Comment