Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

November 18, 2017

It's Not All Good, It's Not All Bad, It's Just Life

I was reading the Brian Wilson article pictured above, which was in the November edition of the Australian version of 'Rolling Stone' magazine, where Brian says, "... I was scared of dying and going through all kinds of shit, and a song got me through it.
You know Danny Hutton's [Three Dog Night] song 'Black & White'?
If you ever get in a pinch, boot up 'Black & White' on your cell phone.
You'll feel better right away.
It's like, Elton John had that song 'Someone Saved My Life Tonight', and that's exactly what happened to me."
Brian doesn't really explain what it is exactly about that song that got him out of his mental funk, and to be honest I would much prefer 'Three Dog Night's 'Joy to the World' over 'Black & White', but as John Lennon sings, 'Whatever Gets You Through the Night' I guess.
Turn's out that  "Black and White" is a song written in 1954 by David I. Arkin and Earl Robinson.
The song was first recorded by Pete Seeger in 1956, followed by Sammy Davis Jr. in 1957, but it was 'Three Dog Night' that had the big hit with it.
I actually saw Brian Wilson perform the 'Pet Sounds' songs at the Byron Bay Bluesfest in 2016, too -
Easter Monday at Bluesfest 2016
Brian Wilson singing Pet Sounds songs
 
at Bluesfest, 2016
The thing was I happened to be working on that image and saying above when I read Brian's story in 'Rolling Stone', so the fact he mentioned a song called 'Black & White' while I was working on a Yin/Yang image kind of got my attention.
I was working on that image because I hate when people try to explain all the bad stuff away in life with that cringe-worthy saying of, "It's all good".
Because life is far from "all good" or "all bad".
And "that's life".
We just have to ride it out, or "get on a bird and fly", to be quite Frank.
God only knows what it's all about I guess?-)

No comments:

Post a Comment