Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

November 25, 2017

The Addiction Right in Front of Your Face?

I wrote a post about Facebook at the beginning of the year -
Facebook For Dummies?
I deactivated my Facebook account at the time I wrote that "Dummies" post and since then I have not regretted my decision.
That queasy, "got to keep up with the Jones and their BS" feeling has long gone since leaving Facebook for me.
And I don't miss it at all.
But now I see in the news that one of the co-founders of FB has come right out and admitted that they designed Facebook to be addictive in much the same way as smoking is.
Facebook exploits human weakness and is intentionally addictive, ex-president says
"
But the company's founding president Sean Parker had told US website Axios that the thought process behind social networks like Facebook is actually more sinister.

In fact, he says, it is all about trying to "consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible".
"
And that means that we need to sort of give you a little dopamine hit every once in a while, because someone liked or commented on a photo or a post or whatever and that's going to get you to contribute more content and that's going to get you more likes and comments," he said."

It sure is I reckon;-)
I "like" how that Facebook news story above was in the November 11th, 2017 newspaper which features a poppy on the front page for Remembrance Day.
Because ... lest we forget ... the poppy is also something associated with heroin (and addiction?).
Heroin Town in Australian cinemas 17 November, 2017?!
November seems to be the month ... in Australia at least ... of examining social and cultural addictions.
"Get a Google Home"? That will give words like
  
"search" and "home" a new meaning;-)
I "like" how Officeworks
uses
Facebook's colours
But I guess if you "like" Facebook then who am I to point out an unhealthy addiction to you, right?
I know people who love smoking, using heroin, drinking alcohol, etc (I drink and have occasionally smoked myself), but they assure me that they could stop any time they liked, but choose not to.
So I guess the question here is how many "hits" did you have today and did you really "like" it?-)

No comments:

Post a Comment